when food gets stuck

aesposito
on 10/3/17 2:55 pm

I did OK with pork chops and steak.. but six years out I STILL have occasional issues with dry chicken and ground beef (like meatloaf). Everyone is a little different. Add some (full fat) mayo or something and see if that helps.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

pammieanne
on 10/3/17 3:58 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm 16 months out, and just yesterday got chicken breast stuck (and it was cooked in a mushroom gravy!)... I thought I was over it, but I am pretty positive I didn't chew it well enough, and ate it too quickly.

It' stinks, but at only 6 weeks, I couldn't have eaten pork or chicken... and for some reason, pouch tuna was my nemesis back then.

It does get better, but you can never get complacent on chewing and taking your time eating.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

cowdoc
on 10/4/17 6:13 am
RNY on 09/12/17

I'm so glad you posted this. I have been having some regular almost daily issues with the feeling that I have a large pill lodged in my esophagus - even though I haven't taken a pill. I've been trying to figure out what things trigger this feeling and so far - pureed tofu, cottage cheese, ice water, and when I eat more than 2 oz. of anything. There have been several days this week where I have started out the day well then ended up just drinking another protein shake and tepid water because that is all I can tolerate. Ironically, this feeling doesn't happen after I've taken pills. :)

So...My good list: 2 oz. pureed chicken or tuna or 1 large scrambled egg. I can usually get away with adding 1/2 oz. of pureed roasted red peppers. I don't think it's dairy because I can eat triple zero greek yogurt in 2 oz. increments and I'm fine with Fairlife skim milk. And I did the egg face ricotta bake (minus the parm and mozz since they are not on my dr.'s ok list). I made little 1 oz. discs of that and I can eat 2 of those without a problem.

Anyway, I feel for you. What a funny thing our new digestive systems are.

Are you pureeing the pork chop before eating? Adding just a teensy bit of broth to the puree to help get it to a much more digestible state? It really is a trial and error thing. Going back to square one (liquids and gradually adding things back in) seems to be what's working for me to figure it out. Hope that you feel better soon.

maeburke
on 10/5/17 4:06 pm

check on the internet about "Stomal Stenosis after gastric bypass". I have this problem also ..can't eat anything solid without throwing up... My surgeon is going to do an endoscopy and fix it but they can't fix it till you are completely healed, around 3 months post op.I was told. Till then ,more liquids... hope this helps... just know that this is a common problem and they can fix it. Good luck

bigdaddyinCanada
on 10/6/17 5:12 am
RNY on 04/11/17

When I get food stuck which happens occasionally, I drink small sips of a carbonated drink (diet pop, beer, etc..) and I begin walking aournd and it clears it up within 5 minutes. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 359 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 187 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?