Trying to find food is hard sometimes

mirandaF
on 10/22/17 10:48 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I find there are so many foods I just can't handle now. I was somewhat lactose intolerant before, now I'm VERY lactose intolerant. I can't handle mayo, certain mustard, anything breaded (like chicken), eggs (unless it's eggbeater brand), bread is even a no go for me now.

I eat chicken very well, salads are amazingly easy for me, pasta of any type is usually a no go (unless it is only 1 maybe 2 bites anything more and I start to regret it within 10 min.. and those 2 bites have to be 10 min apart) I can eat cottage cheese with no problem. Which makes it feel so odd for me since lactose intolerant, but this has no issue with me other than sometimes a little upset but very rare.

I can handle mozzarella but i can't eat cheddar very well. I tried half a grilled cheese sandwich (which tasted heavenly and took me 30 min to eat) but then I got sick later. I can eat bacon as long as I don't go overboard, 4 slices and I'm good. I can't handle a lot of dressings unless they are the less creamy variety. I can eat pickles, tomatoes, cooked broccoli, avocado.

I just feel like my list of foods I can eat that don't either make me rush to the bathroom within 10 min of eating, or have to lay down because of dumping syndrome is so tiny. I'm sure it's not, but it sure feels like it and it's hard to come up with different ways to eat the same thing over and over.

Also with it getting so cold now, I can't even enjoy a walk outside anymore. I used to walk a mile a day a year ago, then between cancer and depression that stopped. I want to get back into walking again, but it's hard because now with winter coming i get so cold outside that the pain stops me from doing a lot of things.

I feel like an 80 year old body stuck in my 37 year old one. Cold makes me ache and hurt in places I never knew before lol. Since loosing weight, I have noticed that where 80 used to be too hot for me. Now I wish I could stay at that heat level. I used to be comfortable at 65/70 and now I freeze my buns off if it's anywhere near that number.

I'm still 253 lbs at this time (finally started loosing a little weight again, THANK GOD) that almost 4 week stall about broke me. I guess I just needed a place I could vent in that would understand me. I don't mean to go on a pity party by any means, I'm just getting frustrations off my chest. Thanks for listening!

Librarian67
on 10/23/17 3:12 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Sounds rough and I'm sorry that it has been so rough. Make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids so that you stay well hydrated.

As for the cold, I have had the same problem. I used to always be hot and now I am cold alot of the time. I used to like winter because I was finally not overheated, but now I am dreading being cold all the time.

Hang in there and try to stay protein forward and add in some veggies when you can.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Queen JB
on 10/23/17 4:18 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Sorry that you are having a hard time. Here is the good news --a lot of the foods that are giving you are hard time are also the foods that are not good for weight loss and should be avoided, anyway!

The best thing you can do for yourself after WLS is adopt a diet that is heavy on dense protein (meat meat meat!) and avoids all breads and flour based carbs (like pasta).

Given the things you say are okay, I think you are in good shape for weight loss! Reframe your thinking form feeling deprived, to feeling blessed that your body won't let you eat the foods that aren't good for you! Stick with the chicken, egg beaters, cottage cheese and veggies. Meat first, veggies second.

As for the cold--yep it is real. Almost all of us go through it, and although it is miserable, staying active is one of the only things that makes it better. Get out and get moving to raise your body temp.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Ginnny
on 10/23/17 4:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Many of the things you've listed here that you can eat are things I still wouldn't eat at 18 mos. post op. Grilled cheese? Breaded chicken? Pasta? Those don't sound like things you should be eating so early post op anyway, so maybe its a good thing you can't handle them. Four slices of bacon sounds a little overboard to me. I hope you are weighing and measuring everything that you eat.

I hear ya about being cold all the time, you'll just have to bundle yourself up and get out there!!

Good luck to you.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 5:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

As for the cold - bundle up. Lots of exercise clothing companies offer some version of cold gear, so you won't even feel super bulky.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Emiepie
on 10/23/17 7:22 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I am sorry you are struggling. You already have been given some great advice but I just wanted to you some support. Remember you are worth it!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Dcgirl
on 10/23/17 7:38 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I am definitely colder now, but I layer up and still make my butt get moving - try an infinity scarf and a hat - I have found that they help a lot!

I am going to agree with what the other posters have said about the foods that don't sit well not being great for weight loss anyway. If you still have 100 lbs you want to lose, ditch the pasta, grilled cheese, breaded and fried things.

Here are some good protein ideas:

Egg salad - and many of us mix it with cottage cheese instead of mayo, add Everything but the Bagel spice, and maybe some crumbled bacon :)

Tuna salad with chopped up pickles or onions

Any flaky white fish - I like flounder or tilapia that I just cook quickly on the stove, and then add some fresh lemon juice and some minced garlic at the end

Shrimp, in any sauce like pesto or curry

Cook chicken in a crockpot in a sauce - if it's moist it may sit better

Make ground turkey on the stove and then add taco seasoning and cheese for Mexican flavor, or add Italian seasoning and some spaghetti sauce and ricotta cheese for Italian flavor

Whether or not you get to goal and even HARDER, stay at goal, is up to you. Listen to the folks on this site who give advice to eat lean protein and you can find great success. Even if your surgeon's plan includes grilled cheese and mashed potatoes, you will find that if you make lean protein a priority you will be much more successful! Good luck!

ScottAndrews
on 10/23/17 9:08 am
RNY on 03/20/17

What you think is dumping may very well be reactive hypoglycemia. Look it up.

CJ On Orcas
on 10/23/17 9:28 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I am just over a year out and only in the last month have I started to feel warm sometimes. That is a real thing, unfortunately. Bundle up.

I would move away from carbs... they may sit better on your pouch but do not fill you up and in my experience they just make you feel hungry sooner. I also had a tough time with protein. Greek yogurt, soft boiled egg, protein shakes, I used the Unjury chicken broth, just keep trying. For some reason salami did fine with me but hamburger or qnything geound was horrible. I love beef jerky now. No rhyme or reason. I can eat a couple pieces of bacon, but dense proteins are the ones that will fill you up fast.

Good luck, it can be challenging at times but is rewarding.

mirandaF
on 10/23/17 10:55 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I agree with many of the things you all posted. I know pasta / bread is bad, I guess I just need to hunker down and pull my big girl pants up. I still miss food, it's hard to describe what I mean by this. I miss the fun I had, or thought I had when I would cook something and then eat it.

Now, a lot of foods just changed so much in taste I really don't enjoy them. Yes.. i know, I don't need to enjoy my food. But I did before this, and getting over that has been hard. Hamburger ground or even seasoned just doesn't taste as good. I have tried ground turkey instead and it's a bit better but kind of meh. I love turkey bacon, and I don't know about the rest of you, but the stuff I get/find at my store is paper thin. So when I say I can eat 4 slices, after weighing them, they were just a little under 2oz, and that was before cooking them. I didn't weigh them after honestly as I didn't think about that.

I want to enjoy eggs more, but that is hard to do when for some reason normal eggs upset my stomach like no tomorrow. I don't understand why they upset my stomach but something like egg beaters doesn't. I did find a wonderful snack food though. It's pre-packaged to 3 oz. it's seafood snackers, that crab flavored sea food. I love eating those as a snack because it's only 80 cals and 6 grams of protein. And I can dip it in my favorite seafood sauce. Hmm.. more like a meal for me at 3oz rather then a snack, but sometimes I like to just take 1 (it comes with 5 little sticks) and snack on it instead of eating the whole pkg.

Needless to say, I appreciate all the replies and will try more things. I'm hoping to make some coleslaw and see how that sets on my stomach. I love coleslaw and I found a dressing to use that will not add extra calories and no sugar.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 314 views