RH strikes again

cc583
on 11/6/17 4:52 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

The peanut butter w/crackers seems to work the best for me. I haven't had in awhile but I do try to have one of those peanut butter and cracker packs in my truck just in case. I agree with Grim that the tablets are not the way to go. I can say that from experience.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

SkinnyScientist
on 11/7/17 5:03 am

OMG! Peachpie I am struggling too! It is so bad, my endo has hinted that I shouldn't be driving and I am afraid of having my liscense taken away.

I have started to carry glucose tabs, an emergency sugared Dr. Pepper, emergency tuna salad snack kit (with crackers), an emergency PB cracker pack (lance)and an emergency banana (which often turns into a squashed banana).

My endo is fighting my insurance company currently to get me a continous glucose monitor. My RH seems to kick in when I: 1) do cardio. My bg -129 before a run, 2 miles in I was feeling weird and it had tanked to 86 mg/dl. That is around 40 points in under 30 minutes and 2) when I am running short on sleep and drinking too much coffee.

Right now, I am seeing a new Nut. She has basically told me I need some starches and fruit, or otherwise I could die. I have been following her diet for a week and have lost 2 lbs (i was 158.8 and am now 156.8). She has me eating all the time. First breakfast is a hard boiled egg, 1/2 of a slice of sprouted grain bread (think ezekiel brand), and 1/2 cup fruit. Second breakfast repeats the first. First lunch is 1/4 cup fruit, 1/2 cup starch (think whole grain pasta, oatmeal, baked beans, FF refried beans), 2 oz of meat, and 1/2 cup nonstarchy vegetable. Second lunch, first dinner, and second dinner is the same as first lunch. THEN my endo wants a 2 oz protein snack before bed so I don't tank and die in my sleep.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is horrifying. I am hoping this continous blood glucose monitor is the answer. It gives you hard and soft alarms. You can have followers that can see your blood glucose and get a message if you are falling too quickly. They can call you. They can find you.

Right now, I can't even do a moderate walk with hills. I just tank too fast. Exercising sucks now. I go two miles and have to check my blood glucose, drink juice to get it back up, wait a while, and then proceed. If I am ok, I then have to check my blood glucose every MILE thereafter. I think the continuous monitor would be FREEING. Right now my office looks like a biohazard drop site with all these lancets and strips.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Meggles07
on 11/7/17 5:48 am - Canada

My mom and grandma (a nurse) are both diabetic. My grandma always recommends milk because you can get it in quickly and it has a mix of carbs and protein. Because it isn't pure sugar like juice you may not get the RH rebound. As always I take these pieces of advice with a grain of salt, and it may not work for everyone :)

siberiancat
on 11/8/17 5:15 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm not and have never been diabetic. I've had RH for 6 years now. I carry a glucometer in my purse. If I'm home I eat about 2 inches of banana with peanut butter and sit or lay down until my blood sugar comes up.

I'm also gluten intolerant - so most crackers are out. I carry a maple glazed, pecan and sea salt Kind bar and Jason's individual PB pack in my car and purse. I usually also have a snack bag of nuts.

I don't have an episode often, but every now and then I have a moment where I automatically eat something (on an empty pouch) and forget that I have RH and then I pay for it in about an hour.

Best wishes in finding out what will work for you - be patient with yourself. We can do this!!

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

stacyrg
on 11/8/17 2:39 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Kind bars help me unless I'm super low and they are approved by my endocrinologist.

stacyrg
on 11/8/17 2:38 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Late to the party, Peach, but I was away for the weekend and away from the boards. I feel your pain. It happened to me my last trip to Dodger stadium. I split a snack with a friend that caused me to dump (strike one). About an hour fifteen minutes later one of my friends looked at me and asked if I was ok, as I was frantically digging through my bag for my glucose meter. My friends made me go to guest services who took one look at me and took me to the paramedics who tested my sugar. 38 (strike 2). They were not happy. They gave me sugar to get my sugars up, and I enjoyed their company for a few innings. As an aside, they were shocked that I was able to function as well as I did. Language skills get iffy for me around the 45 mark, but I was able to communicate with them, albeit slowly. I knew I needed to eat protein shortly or I'd have another crash. So a friend offered to get me a beef hot dog (not the best choice, but we were at the stadium filled with bad choices. Anyway, I ate the dog minus the bun, only to realize about 3/4 of the way through that there was SWEET relish on it. You guessed it. RH episode No. 2.

Anyway, my go to is sugar when it happens to get my numbers up QUICK. With my endocrinologist's blessing, I use licorice, followed 15-20 minutes later by a protein snack. Some lunch meat, string cheese, etc. I NEED the initial sugar hit, or my numbers are going to continue to plummet. I also need to follow it up pretty quickly (within 30 minutes) with a protein to kind of act as a barrier so I don't get on the RH roller coaster. If my numbers aren't too too low (65-50), I can do a kind bar, since it has anough sugar in it to raise my levels AND a hit of protein to stabilize me.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/8/17 3:54 pm

The black or blue Lindt Chocolate truffles are good way to bring the sugar up and hold it up until you can get proteins. Peanut M&M are also an easy way. FYI - when my BS gets low - below 45; I can eat some food, but below 40 - I often have a severe aversion to any food. Like i know I have to eat, can chew it, but sometimes I have a problem to swallow it. the dark - black truffles are much easier, plus even when I am in public, eating a piece of chocolate is better for me than trying to deal with glucose tablets. Specially when I am in public places (conferences) and don't want to attract attention.

Having a note - like an medical alert bracelet, allows me to bring food to almost any place. (concerts, arenas, etc.) when normally outside food is not allowed. I often tell them if asked" yes, you can take that from me, but if I get hypoglycemia episode, they would need to call paramedics and stop the show. It is your call...

So far- I NEVER had anyone take my "packed snacks" (emergency stash) away from me. But I also never eat that unless I really have to.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 11/8/17 4:09 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I can't have peanut M&M's near me or I'd fake an RH episode just so I could eat them. The Lindt truffles, on the other hand, would work. I'll have to remember to throw a few in my bag. My endo wants me to wear a medic alert bracelet, but I've been resisting . . . which is stupid.

peachpie
on 11/8/17 4:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I hate both peanut m&m's and lindt's. So either would work fine for me :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/17 5:04 am

I like them both. But with a severe RH I get now food aversion, so I need to pick things that I like enough to chew and swallow.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 768 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 83 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?