Just checking in again

trafficdonna
on 11/12/17 5:06 pm

Hello to everyone.

Just having kind of a bad day. I have had issues with my spine and my eyesight this year. Eyes are finally getting better after cataract surgery, laser "tweaking", and then PRK. Spine is deteriorating and I have herniated disks. I had nerve ablation this month and I'm hoping it will last for some time.

My main issue continues to be trying to eat. I never have an appetite. I force in 6 oz of yogurt in the morning. I try to have some soup or a Lean Cuisine at night. That's about it. Even those make me nauseous afterwards. I drink protein shakes which have 30 g of protein--but then I get gas, nausea, belching every time after I drink it.

I am just getting tired of having to deal with food at all. I would be happier if I could get away without eating altogether. I know there are others out there with the same problem--many of you responded to my post in April to give me support. My lab tests showed nothing off except liver enzymes, low on vitamin D and low protein which I expected.

I take a multivitamin, extra D3--5000 mg a day. I live on 400-600 calories a day. Even drinking water makes me sick so I usually just drink coffee or diet tea. I wish I knew what to do but nothing helps. I keep giant economy size bottles of antacids handy and need them after every bite I put into my mouth. My primary care physician is stumped and has suggested I reverse my bypass. I doubt that Medicare would cover that. I would also be afraid of regaining the weight. I lost 160 pounds with my bypass. But now at 110 pounds, a size 4, I feel weak and low-energy most of the time.

At 66 I feel 86. I'm tired of living like this.

This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
White Dove
on 11/12/17 9:50 pm - Warren, OH

Try using a teaspoon of baking soda in a few ounces of warm water instead of the antacids. Instead of the yogurt, soup and Lean Cuisine, cook some good steak, chicken, fish or pork and have a few ounces at each meal.

The coffee is probably contributing to all of that acid. I gave up coffee and diet coke years ago.

I no longer have an appetite, RNY took that away entirely. I still make an effort to eat my protein each day and to avoid things that cause heartburn.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

trafficdonna
on 11/15/17 1:16 pm

Thank you. The idea of cooking meat makes me nauseous. I can't eat eggs either. I do occasionally put chicken breasts in crock pot, cook them until I can shred them and then freeze so I can add extra meat to the chunky soups I buy. I also have pork, steak and fish in my freezer but the cooking makes me feel sick. Once they are cooked, I can't eat.

I know this should be an easy "fix". Just make up my mind to do it but the very idea makes me ill and tired.

stacyz
on 11/13/17 9:29 am - Mystic, CT
VSG on 04/04/18

I have not had surgery yet but the frozen meals always give me heartburn.

sor09
on 11/13/17 2:50 pm

Not sure... and only going my what you wrote for replying as best as possible.

You quote I take multi vitamins... all Bariatric dosages? The only one I see is the D3, and yes, that's a bariatric normal... but the others have to be too.

If you reduce your protein, which is bariatric first to eat, at least 65 g per day... you are hurting yourself. The dairy and liquid shakes... you need Bariatric style menus and food choices. Try to limit and or skip the prepared-prepackaged foods, since they have fillers and sodium mostly, and are not vey healthy in the long term. They are high in sodium, hidden sugars, and artificial stuff and low on nutrition by reading the label they provide.

Online researching these thing can help a lot more. This is advice, since you did ask. lots of antacids... have they scope you to check for ulcers too? Really reads like you have multiple health issue that a bariatric professional panel should be analyzing to find solutions for you.

You can venture out to find them yourself and it's a lot of work but for relief and curing yourself, it's part of your journey. Best wishes on finding your solution. Seek detail information from a bariatric MD, since they specialize in the management of post op WLS folks the best.

trafficdonna
on 11/15/17 1:11 pm

Thank you. I have never had any bariatric care in ten years. My surgery was performed in India. None of the doctors here in Vegas have support groups unless THAT doctor performed your surgery. I really don't know what a bariatric level for nutrition is since I have never had that kind of support. I know protein is important but its difficult to get that in when everything makes you sick. I have recently even started getting nauseous from the Premium protein drinks I buy at Costco--30 g of protein each but they upset my stomach by the time I get one finished. I take Centrum multivitamins for adults. I don't do dairy because I became lactose intolerant after my bypass. I eat prepared frozen meals because it is just too tiring to prepare a meal for just one. I might make a big pot of chili and freeze it but after just one bowl, I don't want it anymore. I snack a lot on Austin peanut butter crackers or 10 gram protein bars by Nature Valley. I get hooked on the chocolate and peanuts and can eat 2 in a sitting without getting sick

Like I said, my biggest issue is that I just don't want food at all. Nothing ever really whets my appetite or makes me feel hungry. I can go a whole week on 2 cups of yogurt a day with added fruit and slivered almonds. Then in between the cups of yogurt (1 morning and 1 at night), I eat the peanut butter crackers or Nature Valley bars.

I have been checked for ulcers--endoscopy last year showed only that my pouch has shrunk and is quite small. No ulcers. acid reflux, or any other issues except occasional constipation from pain medications for my arthritis.

White Dove
on 11/15/17 3:59 pm - Warren, OH

Go on Facebook and look up Dr Garth Davis. He has patients on a no meat diet and gives lots of advice on Facebook.

trafficdonna
on 11/17/17 11:50 am

Thank you. I will look for his Facebook page. I really am getting somewhat concerned. I am so tired all of the time and of course the stress doesn't help.

sor09
on 1/9/18 5:46 pm

Glad for you. remember to take your bariatric dosage multi-vitamins. Bariatric Choice has an all-in-one chewable in different flavors. I used them always. You might have to check out a few different ones to get the one you like best... everyone's tastes buds are different. I do not do protein shakes but I do add whey protein to soups and hot coca. Best wishes. Feb-2018 will be 5 years for me post op. You can read my journey of struggles and coping tactics I did to get to here.

White Dove
on 11/17/17 2:48 pm - Warren, OH

I cut way back on the meat for a few years and ended up getting iron infusions. I would rather eat a medium-rare filet migeon than lie on a hospital bed hooked up to an IV.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views