Help I have fallen and can not get up.....

obxhatteraslight
on 11/14/17 11:31 am - baldwinsville, NY

I Have had a 4 day bender. Just eating crap. The nut has me writing every day what I eat and it has sent me off track I feel like I am weigh****chers. I can not stand writing a food diary. I have called my Dr to see if there is a therapist to help with food addiction.

Do I just start eating meals like those posted in the menu thread or do I restart with shakes and such. I just need some encouragement. I hope that I am not the only one that has taken a dump like this.

Its scary that I can eat whatever I want and it does not affect me or my pouch negatively although I am sure that the scale will not be friendly.

I was doing awesome this sucks. TIA

ScottAndrews
on 11/14/17 12:37 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Food diary is good as you can retrace where you "left the rails"

We're all in the same boat. I do like looking at people's menus for ideas and some guidance.

hollykim
on 11/14/17 12:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 14, 2017 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, obxhatteraslight wrote:

I Have had a 4 day bender. Just eating crap. The nut has me writing every day what I eat and it has sent me off track I feel like I am weigh****chers. I can not stand writing a food diary. I have called my Dr to see if there is a therapist to help with food addiction.

Do I just start eating meals like those posted in the menu thread or do I restart with shakes and such. I just need some encouragement. I hope that I am not the only one that has taken a dump like this.

Its scary that I can eat whatever I want and it does not affect me or my pouch negatively although I am sure that the scale will not be friendly.

I was doing awesome this sucks. TIA

it is not really helpful to go back to shakes. That will often make one more hungry and doesn't help.

i would start right now,next meal,eating dense protein and only dense protein. Maybe a very limited amount of non carby vegetables. You will have a few days unpleasant from the carb detox but then you should be back on track.

obxhatteraslight
on 11/14/17 12:49 pm - baldwinsville, NY

I worked so hard for this and am not sure what triggered me. I called the Drs office and they are looking for a therapist for me. They suggested support group and seeing the pre surgery shrink guy whom I do not really click with. I mean I trust him but there is no connection TIA for replies I need them.

Emiepie
on 11/14/17 1:07 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

You can do this. As mentioned already, dense protein is a must and try and make sure that you're drinking enough water. I tend to be an "all or nothing" kind of person and at times would throw the whole day out the window if I made a not so great choice and then somebody said something that has stuck with me. It goes something like " if you get a flat in one tire do you go around the car and slash the other three?" So for me that means just because I made a "bad" choice it doesn't mean the next one has to be. Not sure if that helps or even makes sense but I did want you to know that you're not alone. I do hope you can find a therapist, counselor or support group that helps you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

obxhatteraslight
on 11/14/17 1:19 pm - baldwinsville, NY

makes sense thank goodness tmw is a new day b/c I need to get back on the bike and ride so to speak.

Emiepie
on 11/14/17 1:25 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

You will do it!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Margaret55
on 11/20/17 4:15 am

I agree with concentrating on protein, maybe 3-4 ounces per meal. Drink your water atleast 64 oz. 30 30 30 rule. Drink upto 30 minutes before your meal, then stop, eat for no more than 30 minutes and stop, start drinking again 30 minutes atleast after your meal. Chew food throughly, when full stop. Now eating in between unless a designated snack of protein or piece of fruit. Make sure you are eating breakfast lunch and dinner. If hungry in between have a protein shake with zero carbs in it.

Amy R.
on 11/14/17 1:35 pm

From your profile it looks like you're a little over two years out? If you've gotten so far and just now had this happen you've actually done pretty well. Not all of us - but probably 99% of us - stray off plan at sometime within the first two years. I'm not condoning it and I'm certainly not saying it's ok but it does happen.

Good for you for stopping after four days. You'll have to be extra vigilant now because somewhere between the second and third year out we lose much of our malabsorption and this is one way that regain starts.

I think Kim already said it but don't bother going back to shakes. Just eat like you should be eating for the rest of your life: high protein. non-carby veggies if room. minimum carbs. sweets and such pretty much never unless you're comfortable with your weight where it is. even then they should be rare and minimal. I limit my desert/sweets/whatevers to 3 -5 bites.

FWIW, I don't use a food diary every day either because of reasons similar to yours. But I have one that I periodically plug my food into when I've gained a bit and can't see how or am having other food trouble.

The diaries are so blunt (since they are really just computer programs they dont' assign "good" or "bad" to foods) but sometimes we need to see the numbers. Other times we find something we thought was ok to indulge in once in a while really isn't. A few years ago I started to regain and knew it was because I had let sugar back into my life, in the form of caramels. I could eat only a few at a time because of dumping but if I worked it right I would eat those "few" several times a day. Plugged them into that food diary and lo and behold - they were 50 calories EACH. I had been eating several hundred extra calories every day! I knew they weren't good post op eating but I had had no idea how bad they really were. I think stuff like that is helped by using a diary, at least when we are trying new things or are feeling vulnerable to extra calories.

Anywho. You've got this. Go back to your surgeons post op, skip the shakes. Maybe read the daily meal posts in here to get some ideas about what kind of foods others are eating a couple of years out.

obxhatteraslight
on 11/15/17 8:25 am - baldwinsville, NY

Yes 2 years out

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 363 views