stressed out!!!!

One-derland
on 11/25/17 5:52 am
VSG on 11/01/17

today marks day 33 after my operation..... Starting weight was 265, day of operation 240, go home weight was 246.... today I am 222.... is that normal???? I do understand everyone is different.... but the first few weeks I was dropping over a pound a day..... now I am looking at only 2 pounds a week..... which "normal people" loose when dieting and exercising the right way.... getting frustrated and discouraged quick.... I was sooooo hoping to be at a 30 pound loss by my first post op appointment. putting me at 210.... I am not even close!

Librarian67
on 11/25/17 6:28 am
RNY on 02/28/17

You're doing great! Just keep up with the protein and lots of fluids. Also get in some walking and the weight will go down. You sound very normal.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

One-derland
on 11/25/17 7:08 am
VSG on 11/01/17

how do you get in all your water?? .... 1.6 ounce of water every 15 minutes is not possible at this time.... I get up about 630 am, have a drink set a timer for 30 minutes, eat (20 to 30 minutes), set a timer for 1 hour.... a drink as much as I can until 1230 (lunch break is 1)..... repeat process for dinner to.... my phone timer is my best friend.... haha... protein shakes I am drinking about 11 ounces a day. about 25- 35 grams of protein a day from the shakes alone. food (that you chew) I am about 400 - 600 calories a day... on dec 6 I can start meat, but until then I am in limbo.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/25/17 3:29 pm

1. stop stressing, stress will stop weight loss.... count your protein and your water....all carb and fruit comes after protein... If You are still having trouble getting in liquids, I would reduce meal number, and make one(lunch?) protein liquids only..that way you can continue with the other liquids without the long time without any intake. It will also decrease your overall calorie count as well. #2,If really concerned about loss hold all fruit for a week.There are vitamins to replace all fruits...

I did the meal skip to protein meal when I worked in a high heat area and needed more liquids than I could get in between breaks... Protein shake or soup of some kind gives the energy boost.

There will be time you want hot and other times you want cold. Keeping both options open will help you.

Yes, getting up, standing, even just getting up and stretching...will enable fluids to pass thru a narrow opening...as can sitting up straight, and leaning back...

One-derland
on 11/25/17 7:09 am
VSG on 11/01/17

and thank you!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/25/17 7:42 am

Try to relax and adjust your expectations. 2 lbs a week is very normal. And expected. Losing a pound a day after surgery- that was mostly water weight.

Concentrate on getting enough fluids - drink as much as you can. I know it can be challenging - by try different drinks and different temperature of the drinks.

Some people do best with icy cold drinks, others with room temperature, or like me - warm drinks - coffee, tea, or chicken or beef stock at best to get hydrated.

Early post op I drank if lot of decaffeinated coffee, herbal or decaf teas, and warm clear "soups".

Drinking when sitting down is different than when I move around - even during house chores. I can drink much more when I am standing - moving around.

Don't forget about BM. Constipation can be really bad. When I get constipated - and don't get a complete BM - not only I can't eat a lot, but even my ability to drink enough can be compromised. Unfortunately - when I don't drink enough I get more constipated. Irony.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

One-derland
on 11/25/17 8:23 am
VSG on 11/01/17

fluids are still hard. for my schedule I need to average 1.6 ounces every 15 minutes. I walk every chance I get, even got a walking treadmill just set up at my house.... super scared to try new foods to fast. the BM seems to be not a very set schedule, but I use a stool softener to help.... I miss drinking in the worse way... but even sometimes a sip and I need a break... before it was nothing for me to drink 100 to 130 ounce of water a day, not including protein shakes and other beverages.

I need timers all the time to help me remember to get stuff in... I draw goals on my cups so I know were to get to.... I have still not felt the urge to go pee..... I have not been hungry, I also have not been sick, or dumped.... so I feel in some ways I am doing great....

part of my problem is I see what others have done in the first month, and I guess I thought I should be doing about 30 pounds my first month, my friend had it done, she was 400+ pounds and did 30, and she was not active/ or follow the rules.... so I thought 30 pounds for me was achievable.... hmmm I think I need new goal... I got rid of all the goals I had in my phone... I wanted to be one-derland by 12/31/17 @11:59 pm... but 23 pounds in 36 days now is a lot.

The Salty Hag
on 11/25/17 8:21 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On November 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM Pacific Time, One-derland wrote:

today marks day 33 after my operation..... Starting weight was 265, day of operation 240, go home weight was 246.... today I am 222.... is that normal???? I do understand everyone is different.... but the first few weeks I was dropping over a pound a day..... now I am looking at only 2 pounds a week..... which "normal people" loose when dieting and exercising the right way.... getting frustrated and discouraged quick.... I was sooooo hoping to be at a 30 pound loss by my first post op appointment. putting me at 210.... I am not even close!

The phrase that jumps out at me is "when dieting and exercising the right way".

Do you think having WLS is the wrong way? I really hope not. This is still hard work-as you've seen firsthand. It's not easy. It still requires work and diligence.

That being said-everyone loses weight at their own pace. Not everyone will drop 30 lbs in the first month.

If you're on track with your food and fluid intake, just keep on doing what you're doing and the weight will come off.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

One-derland
on 11/25/17 8:35 am
VSG on 11/01/17

yeah.... I am horrible with my wording.... I NEEDED gastric by-pass to save my life. I had a huge tumor sitting on my Pylorus area.... before we found the tumor my dr thought it was gluten and dairy why I was always sick.... so she put me on a diet of 1400 hundred calories a day and exercise to fix my problem of obesity/ tummy issues... (cause I am fat, I need to loose weight, and all my problems go away......)..... even being stricked with that I lost 2 to 3 pounds a week (dr said I am doing everything the right way).... still getting sick, got sent to a tummy dr and they did a sonogram/ ultra sound and about fell over. they explained to me I was doing everything "wrong" for me..... so she ordered more test, 3 months and 4 days later I am having gastric bypass, and tumor removal. since my procedure was close to a gastric bypass as you can get, if you added about 5 more staples, I thought maybe the process may be a bit faster

Cathy H.
on 11/25/17 10:19 am
VSG on 10/31/16

A lot of people stall at the 3-4 week point post surgery. Search "3 week stall" in the forums and you'll find tons of posts. For some it lasts a short time, others a long time (I was a long time person). But it is different for everyone. Your body suddenly says "WHOA! What the heck is going on here I better hang on to every bit of fat I can cuz this fool isn't feeding me anymore!" Soon your body will figure out this is the way things are for the foreseeable future and will start letting go of that fat again. Just stay the course, and hang in there. But it is CRITICAL that you get as close to that 64oz of fluid a day that you can. Dehydration can be fatal for WLS patients, so keep that bottle of water or whatever right by your side and sip constantly. Take a breath...sip...take a breath...sip lol. Okay maybe not quite that but you get the idea :)

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 419 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404