bariatric support group on FB

minaque2
on 11/27/17 7:34 am

A bit of a vent here.. On this website, I only see people trying their hardest to do the right thing. A few days ago, I joined a bariatric support group on FB because I like reading questions and answers. Any info I can get on other's experiences is great. I found though that I can't stand to look at the page. It's full of people knowingly doing the wrong things, trying to cut corners, giving bad advice and being rude. I think I'll just stay here only:-)

Amy R.
on 11/27/17 9:52 am

Glad you decided to stick with what you know works. There are about a million fb groups for post WLS peeps. 99.99% of them are absolute garbage. I joined a few just to see what was out there and you're right about the content. Not worth the time it takes to read the posts.

Erin T.
on 11/27/17 10:43 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I also tried that and left. What's worse is that if you try to give them valid advice and it's not what they want to hear everyone will jump on you.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/27/17 3:36 pm

in my 9 years I only found 2 FB groups that I am a member. I gave up long time ago to try FB groups. most of them is blind leading the blind. "be nice" . "cheating is OK, we are human." "your doc knows best". yea.. Thanks but no thanks.

I found out the hard way that most of the time - tough love is the best love. if I don't learn new things,don't get challenged to be the best I can be, the group is not for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 11/27/17 6:47 pm

Hala would you mind telling which two work for you? I really would like to have some options on fb for support but haven't found any that don't encourage bad behavior or at least minimize it.

Could you maybe PM me if that would be easier? I'm finding that following you around and listening to everything you have to say is VERY helpful and productive for me. Thank you for that. =)

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/17 7:11 pm

I think the people that hang around here are really here to help.

Getting and giving support is important in this thing we call life. People who have not had WLS. Have no clue what it is like.

So keep coming and reading and asking questions.

Jester
on 11/28/17 2:19 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I actually recently joined a couple of FB Groups an HOLY COW was I shocked. Aside from what you all mentioned, a good chunk of the people on the ones I joined are borderline illiterate. I hate to be holier than thou, but I was shocked.

Amy R.
on 11/29/17 9:11 am

Good old FB. Always a mixed bag.

Sometimes, based on a person's posts and posting history out there in FB-land, I wonder how these people negotiate reality. Seriously I worry about some of them.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 290 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 290 views