Cymbalta

Nancy Geoghegan
on 1/5/18 5:44 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

Hi All. Anyone else here on Cymbalta and had the RNY? Best medicine I have ever taken for anxiety disorder. I don't know if any other med could replace it.

Also, how do you get your meds in the first two weeks if I'm on clear liquid and full liquid? I can't have applesauce until phase 3. Thanks!

Nancy Geoghegan

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/5/18 6:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In general, your meds shouldn't be too affected by the RNY. You're not supposed to take extended-release formulas, but Cymbalta doesn't have one of those, so nothing to worry about there.

In the first two weeks, most folks are just fine to swallow small pills (psych meds, vitamins, pain pills, etc.) with a sip of water. If your pills are larger, you may need to use a pill splitter to cut them in half.

I had VSG but had the same sort of food progression as RNY. I was on a lot of meds at the time, but had no problem with pills from day one. One tiny pill piece with a sip of water, wait a few minutes, do the same with the next pill piece, repeat. Between all of my psych meds, my vitamins, and my blood pressure pills, it took about fifteen minutes or so, but I didn't have to miss any doses!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

catwoman7
on 1/6/18 8:12 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I took swallowed pills as soon as I came home from the hospital. The only ones that were too big to swallow were ursodiol and those huge calcium tablets. The PA at my surgeon's office said it was fine to wait a couple of weeks on the ursodiol. As far as calcium, sometimes I dropped one in my protein shake and waited for it to dissolve, and other times I took chewable ones. Splitting it with a pill splitter probably would have worked as well. After the first two or three weeks, I could swallow any pill

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

GerryF2003
on 1/6/18 1:22 pm
RNY on 12/11/17

Hi Nancy!

I'm on Cymbalta and had RNY on 12/11. I took the pills all along and haven't had any issues with them not working.

Good luck with your surgery!

Gerry

Patty R.
on 1/6/18 3:25 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Hi. I am on Cymbalta. Immediately after my bypass the surgical resident changed my med to Effexor, something that could be crushed. BAD, BAD, BAD They are not interchangeable!! Long story short, I am back on 60 mg/day taking 2 30mg caps. Early on, I opened the cap and mixed the beads in watery applesauce.

Good Luck!

Donna L.
on 1/7/18 6:56 am, edited 1/6/18 10:57 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

A bigger problem with the Cymbalta is that you will not absorb as much. See this study for an example. Your doctor may need to increase the dose. I would wait until you heal a bit more to worry about it.

I take Cymbalta too, and I may need to do the same after my revision.

You can take the beads out of the Cymbalta capsules to swallow. Stomach acid does make Cymbalta inert (that's the reason it has a plastic coating) but after an RNY you basically have no/very little stomach acid due to the fact that the parietal cells typically are not in the pouch connected to your digestive system.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404