Have my surgery date..again..

crystalcandoit
on 1/24/18 2:11 pm
RNY on 02/06/18

So I am new to the RNY page mainly because up until I went in for surgery last Tuesday, I was supposed to have a VSG. Then my surgeon discovered that I had a large Hiatal Hernia and immediately stopped the VSG surgery. Once I was out of anesthesia, he explained that I could no longer have the VSG surgery and would have to the RNY due to the size of my hernia. I had my appointment with him today to go over the new procedure and got my new surgery date, which is February 6th. So I am now trying to learn everything about the RNY, since I only have less than 2 weeks until my surgery, versus the 6 months that I had to prepare for the VSG.

Any words of advice about the RNY, that you wish your surgeon had told you....

Starting weight-374 lbs Surgery weight-306 lbs Pre-op- -68 lbs M1- -21 lbs M2- -3 lbs M3- -13 lbs

Writergurl08
on 1/24/18 3:20 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

No advice, as I'm still pre-op myself. A sudden change like that would stress me out because I am so "type A" And need to mentally prepare and know the game plan! From what I've read and researched, post-op life and diet is fairly similar, but you may need to take more vitamin supplements. Again, I'm no expert and more qualified vets may pipe in soon.

You'll do great! Both options are good ones and will be a great tool to put you on a healthier track!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/18 4:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The recovery and postop diet are identical. The lifestyle changes between the two are exactly the same.

Most think that RNYers need more vitamins and iron long term, and that's generally the case. But VSGers often have the same deficiencies too.

There really isn't much difference.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/18 12:06 pm

I think you got really lucky ! I thank God my giant and painful hiatal hernia was fixed during my RNY. I need no medication since and have very little urge to constantly overeat which was coming from the internal burning that made me self medicate with excess food.

Not only is keeping my weight stable and at a far lower set point easy now I am just ridiculously healthy and energetic.

((( )))) good luck!

NYMom222
on 1/26/18 5:16 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree with Grim, there really aren't as many differences in post-op life as you would think. One of the attractions of VSG always was the ability to take NSAIDs, but that is not really recommended for VSGers either at this point, we both have suture lines in our stomachs/pouches that could be susceptible to ulcers.

One of the reasons I opted for RNY was I knew at that point in my life, even when I had restricted my food, I wasn't losing more than 10lbs, and I needed to lose a lot more than 10lbs. So to me the malabsorption was an advantage to get me to where I needed to be. It doesn't last forever so you still need to develop good habits but I wasn't sure restriction alone would be enough.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views