3 months out...looking for calcium citrate recommendations

Lucile777
on 1/28/18 2:48 pm

hello there, now that I'm 3 months post op my nurse at my 3 month appointment told me that I could swallow my pills whole. She also told me that the really big ones can be cut in half. So I bought the calcium citrate pills at Costco and dear Lord they are HUGE. I cut each one into thirds and they're still getting stuck! Did they thin out my esophagus too?! Does anyone have any advice on which calcium citrate plus vitamin D pills to buy? I am open to buying online in American frickin lower than our value dollars too :). Thanks everyone!

p.s. Looking for a smaller size pill

ks76
on 1/28/18 3:03 pm
RNY on 11/29/17

My surgeon recommends the chewy ones from bariatric advantage. I have lemon. They're a bit like a starburst, my friend takes the caramel and those are really good as well.

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

jenorama
on 1/28/18 7:54 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Be advised, those do not have magnesium. You will need to supplement that separately or you'll be headed to leg cramp city. I used those for a couple of years and started getting very bad leg and foot cramps. Mentioned it to my chiropractor and she asked if it had magnesium with it and it did not. Now I do extra magnesium to keep the cramps I check.

Jen

ks76
on 1/29/18 6:07 am
RNY on 11/29/17

I take other vits as well, just was mentioning which calcium citrate I take since that's what she was asking :)

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

jenorama
on 1/29/18 7:17 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That's good. It was something that caught me by surprise. A very crampy surprise!

Jen

obxhatteraslight
on 1/28/18 3:28 pm - baldwinsville, NY

calcium citrates come in petites named pills smaller then the large ones

MeerKat1994
on 1/28/18 6:51 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

I like UpCalD. It's a dry mix that you put in your drinks. I toss one scoop into my water and crystal light every morning and afternoon water.

Daisydoo02
on 1/28/18 7:10 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I can't take large pills either. I will cut with a pill splitter the large pills into 4. Nothing wrong with splitting it up into as many pieces of what you can get down! Also at Toronto Western Hospital behind the counter they sell the Bariatric Advantage Calcium chews, they are quite yummy but I find a tad expensive. I use the PatchMD calcium patch personally and don't have to bother with pills. But when I was a fresh post op like you and did take pills I cut the into 4's to get them down.

I know a lot of people on here use the Citracal Petites (found on Amazon.com, not sure if they are on Amazon.ca). They are small and work great. Good luck!

Citracal Petites

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

obxhatteraslight
on 1/28/18 8:05 pm - baldwinsville, NY

they sell them at walmart too

selhard
on 1/28/18 7:31 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

First Recommendation: Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate 500 mg chews. Love they are individually wrapped, love the caramel flavor, hate they are spendy, and really hate they have calories. Second Recommendation: Citracal Calcium Citrate + D3 petite pills. Love the small size and love they come in store brand names. Third Recommendation: love the idea of rotating between calcium citrate chews and pills to save on both money and calories. However... there's a good chance "once you go chews, you will only want chews."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics