What's on our Menu Today (Thursday) RNYers?

Sheila_H
on 2/8/18 8:37 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

G'morning!!

kinda late posting. I gotta admit I'm jealous of all the snow you guys are getting. We are in the 70s here and I'm sick of it. That's the main reason DD moved to DC for college, she wanted some variations.

QOTD: I still consider myself a newbie (7.5 months out) so I was reading all the tips. The liquid advice helped me a lot (count all liquids) and at one point @Librarian told me to aim for 100 oz. At first I thought there is no way I could do it but nowadays 100 oz is my daily minimum.

Accountability : on point

B: protein shake

L: Costco chicken skewers + broccoli

S: yogurt

D: chicken meatballs + cauliflower

have a good one.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: 151

PGW: 140-142

Patty R.
on 2/8/18 8:42 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I really like this QOTD Daisy !!

WLS is not a one size fits all, especially if you are revising.

Measure, weigh and track every bite. Do not plan on feeling full or having restriction, or food aversions or difficulties with solid protein(meats). The honeymoon period IS real and may not last 18 months. Protein 1st and water are of the utmost of importance.

This IS NOT a rant or whining it is THE TRUTH, follow the advice of the vets for success!!!

Menu

Lots of coffee,(48oz), 80+ gm of dense protein and additional 68 oz liquid beyond coffee, some good veg carbs. for my colon health per Drs orders.

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

Amy Liz
on 2/8/18 9:29 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Good morning - Sorry to hear that the north is being inundated with storms and snow!! I can't complain about the weather here and frankly if I did, who would listen, lol?!

QOTD - The best advise I received as a newbie was to disregard my center/NUT list of 'approved' of carbs - NO CARBS, protein only and to be a machine - just do it.

Accountability - great

14 mo post op- 157.8

b-coffee w/hc, SB iced coffee w/hh, HB eggs

l-chili no beans ( the last of it finally)

d-ham and cheese omelette

v/l - on track

e-walk!!

Have a good day everyone!!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 182 GW 175

Librarian67
on 2/8/18 9:40 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I agree with you Amy. Usually I am adamant about telling people to follow the advice of their surgeon, but when it comes to carbs, many of them are just wrong. My surgeon wanted (and still wants) me to eat mashed potatoes, bread, rice, crackers, etc. I am so grateful that I came to OH and learned from real life successful people that carbs are the gateway to failure. Now in maintenance I do eat a little bit of fruit each day, but in my losing phase, I stuck to dense protein and occasionally a few non-starchy veg. It worked and helped me not to die from cravings.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Amy Liz
on 2/8/18 9:47 am, edited 2/8/18 1:48 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Yes!! I will have small amount of low carb veggie also but I am dense protein all the way. If I didn't eat this way I know I would be hungry all the time.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 182 GW 175

CarlRay
on 2/8/18 9:35 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Good afternoon! My morning was ridiculous so I'm a little late today with posting.

Menu: Shakes and bars today until supper. Was in a rush and didn't pack anything so I went with the "grab n go" option.

QOTD: I did the alarm/phone thing, and thought of the fluids/food as my "job" in the early days. I tried to get in the amounts they suggested and it was not always easy, but what job is? I still go by the "fluids total" thing as opposed to jus****er. Even now the total (usually 150-200 oz of fluid), is 100-120 oz water, the rest comes from decaf, regular cafe (12 oz-ish), sometimes a cup of tea (but I can never taste that), a cup of milk near bedtime, some soups, protein shakes (mine are all water-mixed) and that's pretty much all I drink. No juices, ever. I find that I pee all of the time. It's almost annoying (lol) but I don't mind.

Mandi87
on 2/8/18 9:51 am
RNY on 12/08/16

good morning! Daisy, so glad your back is feeling a bit better! I think I'm taking your place in the back pain department now haha. All day yesterday my back felt like it was on the verge of going out.. You know that catchy feeling in the base of the spine? That was me all day while working on clients. The struggle is so real lol! Hopefully today will be a little easier - fingers crossed.

accountability: I don't even want to admit this because it makes me feel like a failure AND a whiner.... I had ANOTHER cookie last night. At least they're all gone now so the temptation will be easier to not give in to haha

qotd: I can't remember who gave me this tip, but syntrax protein powder has been my best friend (even now, to this day). I love it because you can mix it with everrrrything, there's a ton of delicious flavor options and it's not chalking. I usually mix mine with water, but some flavors are great with almond milk (which usually only adds an extra 25 calories), but it's great mixed into plain Greek yogurt. I also love that it's sugar free, very low calorie and no carbs! It is and has been the best thing ever! Also the vitamin patches!!! Total game changer for me :-D

b: eeek! Already off track with a piece of bread with peanut butter and a tiny weenie bit of jam

l: more chicken taco salad (but I also have leftover tofu curry so I'll just see what I'm in the mood for later)

d: taco salad again or chicken sausage and a mixed salad

s: maybe a Greek yogurt or some kale chips

v: patches

e: walking the doggies

have a wonderful day, everyone!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/18 5:47 am

Reality does come back with old habits. At least you see it.

It can be a big smack in the face.

I can't have any type of cookie in the house.

ScaleSkater
on 2/8/18 10:23 am

I thought of something I do that might help as a tip for QOTD. I don't even think about it anymore, but it's automatic. As soon as I finish a meal I take 3 powerful mints and chew gum for 30 minutes. That keeps me from eating inside the window.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Au_Contraire
on 2/8/18 11:14 am, edited 2/8/18 4:21 pm

Hi all! Happy Thursday!

One of my Siamese cats went blind some time ago. She can see shadows and light, but pretty much nothing more. Ever since her vision deteriorated to such a drastic point, she has been crying at night - she will walk into the hallway by my bedroom, or come into the doorway, and just stand there and yowl her head off at maximum volume. Nobody could sleep through that. She has the standard Siamese voice (loud and throaty - people on the phone often think a baby is crying). Her nocturnal crying episodes last for several minutes, and honestly she could wake the dead! I get up when she starts crying and go to her to pet and soothe her. She can't help it, she can't see where I am, and is riled up and upset. When I go to her she stops crying right away. As soon as she senses me there, she turns around and walks away from me, back into the living room. I follow and spend a minute or two stroking her, telling her everything is alright, and asking her to please let me sleep! This has been happening multiple times every single night for over a year. The vet had no advice for me. Anyway, last night was the very first time I was able to sleep the night through! She didn't yowl! Wow, what a breakthrough! I was actually worried about what that might mean when I woke up, but she seems perfectly normal today. Yay! Unfortunately, in a week we are moving, driving 19+ hours to our new home, which will be a trauma for both cats. I cringe to think of how difficult it will be for my 16-year-old blind cat to learn her way around the new place, after having lived in the same environment for the past 12 years. I am not sure of how to help her with that, but will research if anything has been written about it. And both cats will get Rescue Remedy, a Bach flower essence, in their water both during and after the trip.

QOTD: Drinking warm tea instead of cold water helped me to up my fluid intake. Also, I find it very important to weigh and log everything I eat. I do not trust myself to correctly judge amounts and weights. I love my cheerful little orange digital kitchen scale, and it helps me to ensure that I'm not underestimating my calories. I didn't reach my high weight by accurately judging portions! Obviously when out to dinner I have to improvise, but otherwise I weigh and record everything. My fat girl brain is a devious, well-practiced, sneaky thing, and the habit of weighing and recording is like a firewall against her lying whispers.

Edited to add: When you can have deli meats, ask to have them not just thinly sliced, but actually shaved. This results in slices so thin they look like lace. Very easy on the stomach!

First: tea with cashew milk & ST salted caramel syrup. Vanilla protein drink.

B: shrimp.

L: chicken, cheddar.

D: chicken, green beans

S: maybe a SF popsicle

Wishing everyone happiness today!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views