Acid Reflux/Heartburn

jennhales
on 2/23/18 10:13 am - lehi, UT

I have a lap band and have horrible acid reflux and heartburn. The GI Dr recommending taking the lap band out (HALLELUJAH) I am private pay so I was thinking if I am going to go under to get it taken out I might as well have a revision to RNY.

I was under the impression that RNY would solve my acid reflux and heartburn issues but I am reading otherwise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks~Jen

ladygodiva1228
on 2/23/18 11:00 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It resolved mine almost instantly. I had been eating tums like tic tacs for a few years until I had my band out and revised to the bypass. Best decision I ever made.

Now I know I have seen folks going from band to sleeve have increased reflux and end up having to revise again to the bypass.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

jennhales
on 2/23/18 1:47 pm - lehi, UT

I love good news, THANK YOU

stacyrg
on 2/23/18 11:05 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I converted from VSG to RNY because of severe reflux that only occurred after my surgery. While it didn't make my acid disappear 100%, it is much, much better and is now controlled by Zantac on an as needed basis. Prior to revision, Zantac wouldn't touch my acid.

Queen JB
on 2/23/18 11:26 am
RNY on 07/20/15

My acid is about 97% gone after losing the band and revising to RNY. In hindsight, I can't believe I lived with such bad symptoms, and I am kicking myself for waiting so long to revise. I love my RNY!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/18 12:49 pm

I had horrible lifelong acid reflux due to large congenital birth defect - a giant hiatal hernia.

My Dad still takes daily prescription acid reducers to limit his - my RNY TOTALLY solved mine.

I can honestly say I haven't had one iota of "heartburn" in the last eight years- not ONCE ! Of course i totally stopped needing Prilosec, Tums etc..

I'm very careful though not to stretch my reconstructed stoma... ill eat only a certain amount and forgive myself for returning to the food " grazing" an hour later .

I eat very lowfat /high fiber so so far the grazing hasn't forced any regain, Thank God.

jennhales
on 2/23/18 1:49 pm - lehi, UT

Whats your limit for the amount of food you allow yourself to eat? Like 1/2 cup or a fist full? Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/18 11:16 am, edited 2/24/18 3:18 am

It depends on the food and my pouch .. I can sometimes eat a whole ? small ? meal .. like a third of a restaurant portion . Sometimes a bit less.

No one has ever remarked on my inability to eat however except just after my RNY when I explained my not eating much to people ( I just said I had hiatal hernia surgery) .

i Feel and look perfectly normal and healthy and I just ate my way through 3 plus meals a day on a week long cruise - tasting everything. I'm a BIG foodie lol.. and love to cook too.

A lot of my stopping eating when I feel full is because I don?t want to stretch my pouch or stoma. Why take chances on regain or getting back acid reflux? I tell myself I can always eat more later if I feel I need it.

catwoman7
on 2/23/18 1:09 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had GERD prior to surgery. I didn't have it at all for about two years post-surgery. It's back now - but much milder than before. In fact, it's more occasional indigestion than GERD at this point. A couple of Tums will often knock it out, but I have some omeprazole just in case it's needed, but I don't take it very often. If I could lay off the coffee, it would help - that's what usually sets it off.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

bethmal
on 2/23/18 5:17 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I had my band removed in August on 2017 and a revision in December 0f 2017. I am off all medications for acid reflux. Good luck on your journey!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 398 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?