Shocking news

Melissa M.
on 2/27/18 7:51 pm - darlington, WI
Revision on 07/25/18

Hi everyone,

I went to the bariatrc doctor today, I had my lap band surgery November 2007 and the doctor said it slipped so he drained my band. I'm up against a huge decision and the doctor offered me the roux-en-y bypass because I have MS which has caused gastroparesis. My question is has anyone ever had a lapband slip removed and went in for a revision of the roux-en-y?

TIA

Melissa M

Restarting my journey to be healthy and thin

jenorama
on 2/27/18 8:56 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I've seen several people post about this here. You might also check the Revisions board. I hope things go well for you!

Jen

Melissa M.
on 2/27/18 9:13 pm - darlington, WI
Revision on 07/25/18

thank you Jen, it's been awhile since I've been on here with all of my life's changes.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/28/18 1:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are countless people who have revised from band to RNY. Almost every single one says it was the best decision they'd made.

I think you'll be so happy to have that band gone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Queen JB
on 2/28/18 2:56 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Sorry to hear about your band slip. I think you'll find that bands are only coming out now, not going in--almost everyone is having serious complications. Mine was not a slip but it was making me so sick. I was vomiting everything, including water at the end.

I got my band in 2008. I had it removed and revised to RNY (at the same time), 2.5 years ago. I have never been happier!

Good luck!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Melissa M.
on 2/28/18 1:42 pm - darlington, WI
Revision on 07/25/18

thank you so much for your experience because I'e also been vomiting since March even water plus severe acid reflux; I contacted the surgeon I just because I am set to go on a cruise in October so I want to put in my six month set up and after the cruise I can go for my revision.

godzilla
on 3/1/18 3:13 pm - Israel
I had a SRVG (old-style ring back in 1992) and I vomited for eight years thinking it was normal. I had barium swallow test and it showed edema inside my ring down to 4mm.
Surgeon said I needed ring out and I had to buy the LapBand. I did and then during surgery, the surgeon decided on another type of surgery, a VBG which I'd another type or permanent ring. I was reimbursed for the LapBand ring as it was not used.
However I developed severe GERD with food coming up in my sleep.
In 2008, I had my RnY and it has been life-changing because I can eat again.
I was doing well with my blood tests until 2014 when my protein levels very slowly started dropping, especially my albumin.
I am now dealing with vitamin deficiencies.
But I am losing weight again.
I am very proud WLS if that is what someone medically needs. I write this way because I am on various FB groups including health/medical support groups; one is about Intuitive Eating and Body Positivity at any size where in a post one is not allowed to talk about fat, weight, body size, lbs/kilo etc which makes for me, a difficult group for me to post on because in theory the group rules are 'against' WLS.
Our choices to have surgery were not made lightly, but with great thought and each individual had to decide what was best for them.
It sounds like for you, you must remove your ring. To have another WLS means you have to decide whether the risks outweigh your medical benefits. And if you do decide on RnY, please follow the rules on vitamin supplements do you stay healthy.
Mikimi in Israel

Melissa M.
on 3/2/18 5:21 pm - darlington, WI
Revision on 07/25/18

Mikimi.

Thank you for the advise, I just went for an upper GI today and something wasn't right because the radiologist never laid the table back so that makes me think that I still have the gastroparesis. I will follow all the rules because I don't need anymore health issues.

thank you,

Melissa M

Melissa M.
on 7/1/18 4:11 pm - darlington, WI
Revision on 07/25/18

Sorry I off so long but yes I need the wls because of my several disabilities and diseases like heart (I was born with this disease) and MS which caused me to have gastroparasis which all the vomiting made my lapband slip.

Melissa M

Restarting my journey to be healthy and thin

DidiMarie
on 2/28/18 4:41 am
RNY on 01/22/18

Hi there! That just happened to me! Ask me anything. :)

I was banded in the mid 2000s and had a fantastic success for over a decade. This past summer my band slipped and my team advised me not to replace it, but to choose a sleeve or an RNY. I was devastated, and so horrified when during the requalification period, after the band was deflated, I put on all that weight again. Awful.

Anyway, I went RNY about a month ago, and I'm still a noob. :) I'm just into a full diet, and I'm learning as I"m going. If there is anything you want to know, I'm happy to give you my input, for whatever it's worth.

Best,

Didi

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 216 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?