Qualifying BMI - Be honest

seattledeb
on 3/2/18 5:18 pm

I did not have the liquid pre diet because I had renal failure.

My BMI was way over 50 which made my odds of surviving surgery lower.

Any weight you lose before will help your chances of having a successful surgery.

Donna L.
on 3/2/18 5:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My surgery BMI for the sleeve 2.5 years ago was 78. Still had to do the process. In many ways, the several months of weight loss was a blessing for me, because after surgery was a breeze since I had stuck to the program. For my revision to RNY recently I repeated the process and "pretended" to have to do the six month thingy again. I found it much easier mentally in particular.

I was 38 and also hated waiting, but it wound up being really the best thing ever to work on myself. I found myself reconnecting with my body and confronting some habits and attitudes. I had a ton of health issues given my highest BMI was still waaaay over 78. However, I am really glad I waited, as I had fewer complications as a result of my hard work over six months, too. It was pretty amazing recovery-wise, and it cemented my new and better habits for post-op life.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ThePlusSide
on 3/2/18 10:33 pm
RNY on 02/21/18

I had a BMI of 39 and just had surgery last week. I didn't have to do a pre-op diet of any kind, other than just clear liquids the day before surgery. I think whether or not you need to do anything pre-op is decided by your insurance company and your surgeon.

zephyr1975
on 3/4/18 7:56 am
RNY on 01/27/15

Talk to you PCP. My doctor had to write a letter to my insurance co basically saying that I needed the surgery due to co-morbidity factors like Type-2 diabetes, hypertension, & sleep apnea. I still had to do 6 months and had to lose 15% before I would get my date.

Talk to your doctor and talk to the bariatric program in your area. They will be the best people to guide you.

On a side note the pre op period is to make sure you know what you are getting into and that you are ready to make the changes required after surgery.

Kathyjs
on 3/5/18 9:04 am

My insurance and my dr required the 6 month. I am still at goal after many years and some of that is because of those 6 months. During that time I saw a behavioral therapist twice a month, a shrink once a month, a nutritionalist every two weeks and really educated myself on how to eat, what to eat and mentally was prepared for this very life changing surgery. The surgery is not a quick fix, it's ALOT of work. Good luck

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 426 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics