9 Months Out, Back at it

WantingToGetThere
on 3/9/18 9:13 am, edited 3/9/18 9:44 am
RNY on 01/07/17

Good morning/afternoon/evening! Whatever may apply to you lol!

So for about 2 and a half weeks now I?ve been back on track, for the most part! Hehe. I went from 264lbs to 248lb which is great (smaller than I was in highschool) my weight before the surgery was around 330, highest weight was 350. I just am having problems with the whole ?full? feeling. My menu consists of this daily,

breakfast - oikos plain yogurt with stevia

lunch - turkey (2-3oz) 1 pickle and a half teaspoon of miracle whip

dinner - 3oz chicken, half bell pepper and 3 mini potatoes

snacks consist of either a salad with chicken, babybel cheese, etc.

And then 8 oz water with lemon a day (also my vitamins)

averaging under 25g carbs, 60-80 grams protein, fats around 30g. Currently kicked back into keratosis so hoping the weight will start falling off. I still have the feeling as I?ve failed the surgery and it?s not gonna he?ll anymore, considering I?m not losing as fast as I would like, but I need to remember I?m still only 9 months out, 100 pounds down, happier, healthier, and I still have the tool I was given surgery wise, and I?ve lost 16 pounds in a little over 2 weeks. I definitely am happy!

Forgot to add I'm also doing 300 calorie a night burns on a bike at 25-30min! So that's definitely helping and I ain't missing much days, mostly every night :)

Also, what is your guys thoughts on a water fast, lasting only 1 day, is it beneficial?

thanks as always!!

Dcgirl
on 3/9/18 9:40 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

100 lbs is great, but with wanting to lose 50+ lbs more, I would say to focus on dense protein and dense protein and dense protein ;) For the most part your menu looks good - greek yogurt is a great choice (providing it has more protein than carbs, I always ate Dannon Light and Fit) though yogurt is not dense so it may make you hungrier sooner than if you had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast or 2 oz of lunch meat or even chicken breast (I don't limit breakfast to just breakfast food! I have been known to eat leftover taco meat for breakfast!). You don't need the 3 small baby potatoes, to be honest, since they take up room that could be used for meat or veggies. If you see the RNY menu post everyday, this week many people are doing CAMAW or AMAW - which means cheese and meat all week (ie dairy and meat allowed) or all meat all week. Everyone says the same thing - "I got so full I couldn't eat my planned snack" or "the scale is moving down!". The first 18 months are what are referred to as the honeymoon which is not to say you won't lose after that, but you still have malabsorption so run, don't walk to the finish line! Make it your job to eat dense proteins with a tiny bit of veggies and you can reach your goal. I was 351 lbs the day of surgery and reached my goal of 160 about two weeks short of a year. Now I maintain in the high 170s, because those things (like little baby potatoes!) have crept in.

It's great you're feeling great but only you can decide how far you want to go with this. Starting Monday, why don't you try CAMAW and see if focusing on eggs, dairy, and meat really fills you up and gets the weight off.

Also, you say you have 8 oz of water, but I assume you mean 8 glasses of that? I try to have 100 oz of water a day. Just drink drink drink water or herbal tea or flavored calorie free water like it's your job and that will help too. Just not during meals or for 30 minutes after ;)

And one final thought - many people find that they do best with more than 60 g of protein a day. Some get closer to 100. If you want to add in a protein shake once a day, that will really increase your protein. My personal favorite is Chike high protein iced coffee (from amazon). But everyone has their own tastes!

Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/18 12:33 pm

Good for you!!! Your doing terrific!!

White Dove
on 3/9/18 10:00 pm - Warren, OH

I will be eleven years out in October. I think I know the secret of losing and maintaining. It is all about calories. I think you need two things to lose the weight and keep it off long term. A good digital food scale and MyFitnessPal.

Weigh everything you eat and track it accurately. Tonight I had fi**** was 3.17 ounces and that is what I put in MyFitnessPal. I never round off. I see you are tracking carbs, fat and protein, but no mention of calories.

The exercise is great and I see you are tracking exercise calories. Just be sure you are also tracking food calories and not eating an extra 300 calories to compensate for the exercise.

I hope you are really drinking more than 8 ounces of water a day and drinking only 30 minutes after eating.
The first 100 pounds is the easiest and the first two years are the easiest. Take advantage of this honeymoon period to lose it all and learn how to maintain the loss.

It will never be as easy as it is now for you to lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nancyd1225
on 3/10/18 6:55 am
RNY on 03/26/18

Hello - I am pre-surgery and any time I see a post from someone more than 10 years out I pay close attention! I want to learn from those with long term success because that's my goal - long term, lifetime success.

Have you tracked everything you eat for the entire 11 years or do you pick it up at times when you think you might me eating more?

One of the things I hate doing is tracking my food. I've seen other long timers that do not track and are very successful. I'm wondering why, after 11 years, you are tracking calories. Not judging at ALL, just curious and wanting to learn.

White Dove
on 3/11/18 5:37 am - Warren, OH

Because after 11 years, if I don't track, I gain. It gets harder every year, not easier. If I go off track I gain weight and fight to get it back off.

I have always managed to do that, but it is not easy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nancyd1225
on 3/11/18 7:52 am
RNY on 03/26/18

That makes good sense. Thank you for your reply, I admire your long term success.

5'10" 57 years old
HW: 280
SW: 264
CW: 232
GW: 165-175
M1: -20 M2: -10 M3: -2 M4: tbd

WantingToGetThere
on 1/11/21 10:00 pm
RNY on 01/07/17

Update: Reached 179. :)

Tidgel
on 1/12/21 1:38 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

Wow! Congratulations! What an awesome update!

WantingToGetThere
on 1/12/21 2:32 pm
RNY on 01/07/17

Thank you! Figured even after a couple years I would put an update. I struggled with the gastric bypass for a long time and finally took the initiative and figured I'd maybe help or encourage others that no matter what, however many fails, tears, tears and struggles, once you really do just do it, no excuses, that's when the "lifestyle" mode kicks in. It becomes YOUR habit. All these "diets" and quick fixes were something I tried since I was 13 and somehow reached close to 400lb by age 22. I strongly encourage portion control and not eliminating everything you love, just have it to where it fits your calories AND nutrition. It's so important to get in all the vitamins so the mind is clear and energized. Food wise, my stomach did stretch out, and I forced my smaller portions even though I felt hunger. I've now reset my pouch after months recovering it and can now eat very normal meals but again, it's the choices and keeping your calorie deficit. If I can do it after all my posts, and seeing my weight skyrocket again, anyone can do it keep a strong mind and love yourself enough to do it for you! It's not about image. It truly is about health, the outside is just the gravy hehe. I had a BP reading going into surgery of 200/110 and a pulse of 110. Which was my average. Everything was high, cholesterol all of it. 100/70 is my reading now and knowing my lifespan has been lengthened is truly a great feeling. I'm here if anyone would like any advice or questions for anything. We're all in this together :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics