Iron

browneyes65
on 3/9/18 11:37 am - IN

I'm 4 years out now and trying different Irons Vitamin. I was on perfect iron stopped selling it 6 months ago , so I switched to sundown Naturals Iron 65 taking 2 nightly. I know it is trial and error, which one do you think the body absorbs better and can I buy at store. I seen the Dietition at St Vincents Hospital and she just guesses on something to try Chilated Iron Ferrochel. What do you take that works well? Here are a few lab numbers Serum Iron 50, Ferritin 160

alaskasusan
on 3/9/18 2:11 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I still use Sundown Natural Perfect Iron from Amazon (50 mg Carbonyl iron/2 tablets). I want to switch over to the patch eventually but need to use these up first :) I'm 5 years from RNY and my surgeon and PCP love my annual labs.

browneyes65
on 3/9/18 2:50 pm - IN

I used to take too but they discontined it so I'm still looking for the right Iron.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/18 3:31 pm

This is the one I use .... Carbonyl Iron, I buy at CVS... comes complete with vitamin c which helps with absorption...

https://m.cvs.com/shop/vitron-c-high-potency-iron-plus-vitamin-c-coated-tablets-60ct-prodid-1010606?skuId=796813

White Dove
on 3/9/18 9:37 pm, edited 3/9/18 1:37 pm - Warren, OH

For many of us there comes a point where the body no longer absorbs iron from any pill or patch and we get iron infusions. Take whatever is easiest on your system and keep up with your labs. I needed no supplements for the first five years. Then took ferrous sulfate for five years. At 10 years out I take no supplements and get iron infusions when needed.

Eating red meat, spinach and other sources of iron also helps at least for a while.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views