Portion

NHPOD9
on 3/17/18 12:32 pm

Passive aggressive food shaming. Classy.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Erin T.
on 3/17/18 12:37 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I'm only 14 months out and I can eat two eggs if I don't combine it with much. In fact, if I opt not to have sausage/bacon/cheese with my eggs I won't be satisfied until lunch unless I have two.

I really only see a concern with portion sizes when people are eating 3-4oz of dense protein and they are only weeks out from surgery. I also think certain food**** people differently. I can eat 4oz+ of scallops, but only 3oz or so if beef. Chicken breast I can do 3.5oz if it's not dry. It's very specific to each person.

My snacks are regularly 3oz of weighed protein. So that could be (2) meat sticks and a string cheese. A babybel wouldn't be much of a snack by itself.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Queen JB
on 3/18/18 5:54 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Wow, what a ****ty passive aggressive post. Why would you pick on Daisy, who is one of the more successful long term posters on this board? Daisy has maintained at her goal weight for several years and is truly a role model for many people here.

I agree that there are a lot of new people making poor choices--either in food choices or in portion size, but to call out a successful person in maintenance was just obnoxious and completely counterproductive.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Laura in Texas
on 3/18/18 7:06 am

Warning people against the use of NSAIDS and making sure they take their vitamins (or they may end up with ulcers and osteoporosis/broken bones like you have had to deal with) is a much more important message than telling us not to eat 2 eggs or 2 babybell cheese. You should stick to that.

I am thankful I can eat much more than one egg and one babybell and still maintain my loss. Most of us can.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Donna L.
on 3/18/18 8:07 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If all we ate was eggs and baby bels we would never have gotten fat to start with. It's the pasta, toast, sugary fruit, candy, donuts, etc, that made us fat. I'd argue tha****ching food composition rather than portions is slightly more important from the biochemistry side of things. That's a tangent, however.

I had a long convo with surgeons, and both a VSG sleeve and an RNY pouch are expected to hold ~ 1 cup post-op after a year. A DS sleeve holds more because it's typically larger, but not always.

This is why whenever I read menu threads I take this into account. Vets can simply eat more, period. Also, that's not necessarily bad? I mean, we need to eat things to, well. Not die. And, it's far preferable to get food from whole sources rather than processed whey whenever we are able. Even in treating eating disorders, there is no way two eggs for one meal would be considered disordered or inappropriate eating that would lead to weight gain.

Close to surgery is another matter...I mean, a month out and I can barely eat an egg. Like, I don't fathom how people get fast food on the way home from surgery and eat whole sandwiches or tacos and stuff.

Me, I have two ounces of fish tops, and that's if I eat slowly over 30 minutes and it's later in the day, and Harvey Jr. is done for a few hours. Early morning, forget solid food - he's a rebellious scamp early, and it's still protein shake time. There's no way I'm going to be eating anything like vets who have been doing this for years, because I would seriously damage my stomach doing it - never mind the fact I don't even have that capacity to.

All that aside, it's actually unlikely you would stretch the RNY pouch eating two eggs. For starters, eggs are not, well, that solid. Once masticated their volume is drastically less. Secondly, over time the pouch capacity is more because swelling has gone down from the procedure, and that's actually a good thing because it's far more preferable to get protein from whole sources vs. whey as much as you can.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kathy S.
on 3/19/18 12:52 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

WereYorkieVol2
on 3/19/18 1:06 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I am almost 3 years (yes, YEARS...Not months) and 5 ounces at each meal is what I can handle.

I still weigh my food on a scale and use the smallest paper plate they sell at Costco. Why? I've seen too many people fail at this surgery. They forget or simply never learned "mindful eating" rather than mindlessly eating.

You should always be aware that you can stretch out your stomach after you have healed. I am surprised that some weren't told this in their pre-surgery hoops that they had to jump through.

Or maybe, they chose not to listen to it. (Gotta love the "magic bullet" theory...not!)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/19/18 1:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A two-egg meal is not going to stretch a matured pouch.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sheriberi29
on 3/20/18 7:03 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm a forty year old woman who tells it like it is and everyone's pouch is not created equally! Good for you that you eat 1 baby bell and 1 egg! Some of us eat more some can eat less , however I'm pretty certain that taking vitamins should be considered more important than eating a few more ounces of protein , because if you let you teeth fall out .... all you'll be able to do is gum your soft scrambled egg ( bleh )

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 319 views