Day 12 pre-surgery full liquid diet, surgery on Monday

Nancyd1225
on 3/24/18 8:57 am
RNY on 03/26/18

Hello -

I can't believe it's almost here! Monday is the big day for me and I can't wait.

I'm on day 12 of the full liquid diet and actually feel pretty good. A couple bouts of the hungries and I miss solid food but mostly doing good. I did have an extra sugar free pudding serving last night but that was it. Kind of wish I would have had that "food funeral" meal but ultimately really proud of myself for sticking with this and not "cheating" cause when I cheat the only person I'm cheating is me. I didn't enter into this to sabatoge myself.

I think I'm pretty prepared, or as prepared as a person can be for this. I keep repeating the montra "walk and water" for after my surgery - walk and water, walk and water. I have enough protein shakes to get me through Sunday and a few left over to try after surgery. My doctors office wants me to try to get a shake in throughout the day but say don't let it bother me if I can't. I also have some flavored zero calorie waters and broth. I have not over stocked since I understand that tastes can drastically change after surgery.

To the hospital I'm wearing loose fitting clothing and bringing my phone and kindle, and chapstick because it's one of the things that comes up in posts about what to bring to the hospital. I'm only in for a one night stay so I may decide to leave the kindle at home.

I really just wanted to check in. I believe support will be key in my success and this is one of the venues for that. I have shared that I'm having this surgery with all the important people in my life close friends and some not as close friends. I even have some amazing support at work. Everyone has been so positive and affirming, I am very blessed. I decided I'm not shouting my decision from the rooftops but I also don't feel I have anything to hide.

Any tips or hints or out right "DO THIS" advice is grately appreciated. Thank you!

5'10" 57 years old
HW: 280
SW: 264
CW: 232
GW: 165-175
M1: -20 M2: -10 M3: -2 M4: tbd

Partlypollyanna
on 3/24/18 9:59 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Good luck!!! Sounds like you have done all you can do to prep for success. I took my kindle and some magazines but because of the IV meds, I think i just read the same page over and over and over again, lol. Don't forget your charger for your phone, and if you want to, get a picture of yourself on surgery day. I forgot to do that!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Nancyd1225
on 3/24/18 10:16 am
RNY on 03/26/18

Oh yeah, charger! And yes, planning on a pic for sure. I have a couple that were taken the day the surgery was scheduled. I'm hoping to document this journey for sure.

Thanks for the support and ideas. I can see reading being an issue with the meds! lol.

5'10" 57 years old

ScottAndrews
on 3/24/18 10:17 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Congrats. Come Monday evening you can kiss hunger issues goodbye for many, many months. My description of the post-RNY experience is "imagine the easiest diet you've ever been on"

i brought a really comfy pillow to the hospital and I thought that was the best thing I brought. You're going to take your clothes off pretty much as soon as you check-in and not put them on again until you leave so it's not exactly like packing for a weekend trip.

Good luck and see ya on the losers bench!

Nancyd1225
on 3/24/18 10:34 am
RNY on 03/26/18

Yep, no over packing involved.

Thanks for the description of what it's like post surgery. I admit I am SO SO SO curious about what that's going to feel like. I just have a hard time even imagining it. But I'll be finding out soon enough.

Thanks again.

5'10" 57 years old

peachpie
on 3/24/18 10:59 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My tummy felt so tight/bloated/swollen in post op recovery I thought I had a tummy tuck instead of RNY. I was surprised at how bloated I was (presumably from the gas)-- I looked 7 months pregnant.

I did have a food funeral- but I have not eaten the food from my food funeral again. I probably could- just not in that combination/volume. I choose not to though.

You sound well prepared. All the best!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Nancyd1225
on 3/24/18 11:08 am
RNY on 03/26/18

Thanks Peach - I had the gas for a different procedure years and years ago and for a much lesser surgery so I'm guessing not as much gas. I have to keep telling myself that I won't wake up thin, it doesn't work that way! lol!

I considered going out for that last Lobster Mac dinner, but the doc had already knocked one day off the liquid diet so I skipped it. I tell myself that some time long down the line I could have a taste of it if I really want - but who knows... maybe I will have lost my taste for it or maybe I'll just make the choice like you have.

Thanks again for the well wishes.

5'10" 57 years old

ScottAndrews
on 3/24/18 11:29 am
RNY on 03/20/17

The first 1-2Weeks are tough but that's what's it's like for any abdominal surgery.

keep your mind open for the long term and trust me you'll have a lovely Summer losing weight and becoming the slimmer person you've always wanted to be. Commit to it the right way and it can really be a life changer.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/18 5:49 am

Good luck to you! Short timer now!!! Exciting!

Loril1963
on 3/24/18 12:56 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

Wow, you are prepared! Good for you, it sounds like your all set. Good luck on Monday.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 119 views
Recent Topics