Sudden Upset Stomach

MeerKat1994
on 3/29/18 8:10 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Hey guys,

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach. I managed to fall back to sleep, woke up at 4 felt terrible, went to the bathroom, and woke up again just 30 minutes ago.

not sure what's up. My symptoms are the usual, nausea and queezy and diarrhea, but it comes in waves, almost like contractions. It's pretty bad when it hits me though.

Im still able to pass gas and "go" (no blood in stool) and I hear things moving around. So maybe it's not rny related? I'm just always on th look out for a petersons hernia.

hollykim
on 3/29/18 9:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 29, 2018 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, MeerKat1994 wrote:

Hey guys,

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach. I managed to fall back to sleep, woke up at 4 felt terrible, went to the bathroom, and woke up again just 30 minutes ago.

not sure what's up. My symptoms are the usual, nausea and queezy and diarrhea, but it comes in waves, almost like contractions. It's pretty bad when it hits me though.

Im still able to pass gas and "go" (no blood in stool) and I hear things moving around. So maybe it's not rny related? I'm just always on th look out for a petersons hernia.

sounds like a stomach virus to me. Keep sipping liquids. It is very easy for us to get dehydrated post op when we are slick.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/29/18 9:41 am

Because we don't have a stomach - we don't make enough acid to kill pathogens in the food. Food poisoning, norovirus - that some other "normal" people may not react to - may cause a serious intestinal issues.

And since things just pass from our pouch to the small intestines - we don't have the luxury to be able to throw up "bad " food.
I often end up with a bad case of runs, headache and dry heave.
I use lots of water, chicken stock (with salt - to offset losing lots of liquids)plus.. I use capsules of activated charcoal. Charcoal is known not only to help with the symptoms, but it is very active with neutralizing viruses-bacteria and toxin they create. I never travel with that in my first aid pouch for traveling.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ScottAndrews
on 3/29/18 10:01 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I had something very similar just a few nights back. Could be food borne illness. Could be viral.

I usually just keep my diet real simple for a few days and be sure to hydrate.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/29/18 12:52 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Sounds like a stomach virus to me, lots of fluids.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 372 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 79 views
Recent Topics