600 lb life - Schenee

CarlRay
on 4/5/18 6:44 am
RNY on 02/28/17

So I watched this episode last night, and for the first time it genuinely frustrated me to watch it. Dr. Now seems to be the most patient man on earth. Very compassionate to the point he gives multiple chances to people that have to sort out things, and I admire that. I'd have been less compassionate in his situation, I'm sure.

Instead of putting in the work to resolve her situation, she kept falling back on the same excuses while maintaining that she knew more than Dr. Now. Usually when this happens, eventually the patient figures stuff out and deals with it, gets surgery approval and moves on. She was incredibly stubborn and defiant. Her DH wasn't exactly a help in this case, to boot.

I realize that the majority of these patients have terrible pasts and massive mental health issues to overcome, and she's no exception. Last night it really bothered me to watch her denial of the situation and I felt horrible for her in the end. It left me hoping that she comes to the realization that she needs to address things, so she can begin to heal. I largely don't identify with her struggles, as I didn't have a childhood remotely close to hers. My journey didn't have near the amount of baggage she carries, so I was able to deal with things much like most of you out there.

Still left thinking about that this morning, and usually I don't react to that show (or any show, for that matter). My heart breaks for her, and I hope she has a follow up.

Haley_Martinez
on 4/5/18 7:38 am
RNY on 05/03/18

I watched that episode too, I actually keep up with the program pretty regularly. It's obvious she needs more intensive therapy, but sad that she doesn't seem interested in perusing that. I can't imagine being in the mindset where I would straight out assert that 40lb of weight gain was jus****er weight and I was eating healthily.

On the other hand, I'm terrified that I turn out like another featured patient Penny and don't lose any weight after surgery! Like what if it just doesn't work for me? That scares me lol

Anyways, we can just hope she gets a handle on things, because the surgery she be off the table for her right now.

Well wishes

-Haley

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

The Salty Hag
on 4/5/18 8:33 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Penny refused to do the work needed to lose her weight. She didn't want to work for it. She thought the surgery was magic. Penny was also a narcissistic mess. She did the exact opposite of what a patient should do.

From the posts of yours that I've seen, you're nothing like Penny. As long as you stick to eating what you should be, follow the rules, and don't test the waters, you should do wonderfully.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Haley_Martinez
on 4/5/18 12:26 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Well I appreciate that. It does say something that for the many seasons that this show has been on and the dozens of stories shown per season that she remains the only patient that underwent surgery and didn't lose weight. RNY is pretty damn amazing.

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

CJ On Orcas
on 4/5/18 8:57 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I think about Penny all the time... she was such a complete mess. I worried too when I was waiting for my surgery that I would not lose weight, but Penny had so many mental issues, and on top of that a husband who was determined to enable her to death. And I felt really bad for the little boy. Terrible modeling.

I wonder what ever happened with her.

CarlRay
on 4/5/18 9:49 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Yeah the 40 lbs of water weight excuse really made me shake my head. Re: those that have WLS and don't lose, I just can't fathom how they are able to eat the things they show after surgery. I just can't grasp the volume after my own experience. Having said that, most of those are VSG, not RNY and that might have something to do with it. I would think it's possible but very difficult NOT to lose with wls.

I do hope she wraps her head around things and gets help.

cheers

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/5/18 11:58 am

If people drink milkshakes- eat ice cream, and cakes and cookies, drink soda- no WLS surgery is going to work for them.

FYI: I used to be a serious dumper - now - the more carbs - sugars i eat - the more my body is getting used to it and I no longer dump like I did before.

I know IRL people post op RNY who eat lots of carbs, desserts. They either regained their weight or are on the way to re-gain it all. One - she blames her hypoglycemia of having to drink OJ, and soda: "this is the only way that works for her low BS".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Haley_Martinez
on 4/5/18 12:37 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

See this is the part that makes me nervous! RNY is great and you really have to try to not lose weight but you can do it. Now I am certainly not going to try that lol and I'm planning on only drinking water, protein shakes, and milk post surgery (I don't like juice anyways) but to think what some people force their body to intake is...sad.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/5/18 1:34 pm, edited 4/5/18 6:35 am

Milk.. right. Regular milk has 12 grams of sugar and 8 grams of milk proteins... so it is really more carby drink than proteins drink. 12 grams of sugar in 8 oz of a drink = 3 tsp of sugar. Milk was the very first item I dumped on. It was my favorite cafe latte. O boy.. I was so sorry taht I tried that.

Someone told me that humans are the only "animals" that drink milk of other species. Cows milk is very rich and is made for little cows. Not humans.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Haley_Martinez
on 4/5/18 2:58 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

See I'm on the fence about it, my program actually sort of recommends it with protein shakes for the extra 8g it has (but they don't want anything about the sugars or carbs, though they do strictly recommend no-fat/skim milk for the calories), but yea I never thought of milk as a huge protein provider... I guess it will depend on if I'm finding it impossible to eat my full amount of protein.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?