Post-Op RNYers - do you stop feeling "sick" all the time after surgery?

Haley_Martinez
on 4/8/18 9:36 pm, edited 4/8/18 9:45 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Hey guys,

I don't know how many people experienced these feelings pre-op, but I always feel...just bad. I feel sick at my stomach all the time (probably from always eating crap food and way too much of it to boot), so tired, bad headaches, just like I always have a bug and am ill. I hate feeling this way and I really hope this is one of those things that surgery helps with.

If anyone remember that they might have felt similarly pre-op, do you feel better now?

Thanks all

-Haley

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

MeerKat1994
on 4/9/18 12:52 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Hmm. So looking back I probably would say I did feel that way often times. But I don't think I realized it since it was my normal.

But since surgery and losing weight and just living a completely different lifestyle in general, yes! I feel so so much better.

I feel fit and strong. I've also seen an improvement in my mental health and physical health (duh) but even little things like no more GERD has been AMAZING.

also, i see we are both in Ohio and similar ages! If you would ever want to meet up for coffee or a nice Bariatric friendly meal, hit me up!

Haley_Martinez
on 4/9/18 12:33 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Oh how cool! Can I private message you?

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

MeerKat1994
on 4/9/18 4:50 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Of course!

CJ On Orcas
on 4/9/18 9:18 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I felt that way a lot. Too much food. I ate too many carbs, too much sugar, and was diabetic. Bad food choices leads to feeling ill. I rarely feel like that these days.

Amy R.
on 4/9/18 9:57 am
On April 9, 2018 at 4:36 AM Pacific Time, Haley_Martinez wrote:

Hey guys,

I don't know how many people experienced these feelings pre-op, but I always feel...just bad. I feel sick at my stomach all the time (probably from always eating crap food and way too much of it to boot), so tired, bad headaches, just like I always have a bug and am ill. I hate feeling this way and I really hope this is one of those things that surgery helps with.

If anyone remember that they might have felt similarly pre-op, do you feel better now?

Thanks all

-Haley

short answer: yep. No one gets away with completely zero health challenges post op. Overall though it's much, much better.

juliabjacob1
on 4/10/18 1:56 pm
RNY on 12/13/17

Yes, I felt bad all the time. It's just these couple of days that had been better for me, like 20% better. Mostly bad. As long as I'm feeling even just a bit better, I have hope. I hope you start feeling better as well.

Donna L.
on 4/10/18 2:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

To be honest, I saw an improvement here when I switched to eating lower carb/minimally processed foods pre-op. Surgery the first time around helped quite a bit, but most of my ill feelings came from shoveling the carbs in big-time for so many decades. A low carb diet eliminated a lot of the side-effects of such high consumption of heavily refined foods high in sugar. It was...really hard to go on a low carb diet at first because my eating was so disordered and so high calorie. My diet has done a complete 360 from those days. I am sure that me eating healthy has put several donut stores out of business, heh.

This transition actually helped me tremendously when I had my first surgery a few years back, because I was already used to a diet similar to the post-op bariatric stuff. I felt even better post-op. Of course, I still have health issues to contend with because I was so super obese for a long time. However, I feel 100x better almost all of the time.

Sadly, if we eat crappy after surgery, we will, eventually, definitely get sick again. Surgery helps us feel well, but it will not control our food choices. Really, food is the ultimate of all drugs, though we often don't think of it as one. What we eat absolutely can make us feel sick, fatigued, and crummy all the time.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

DanielleRN76
on 4/13/18 3:29 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

Before my surgery I felt run down and tired all the time. Since my surgery and losing 80 some pounds I feel so much better overall. I don't require as much sleep, I have so much energy to go places and do things. I started feeling so much better when I was trying to lose weight before surgery and started eating lower carb and higher protein. I never knew a dietary change could help so much even before losing much weight but it did. I suffer from chronic migraines and my headaches have decreased tremendously. I have reduced two of my daily preventative medications and my number of headaches have really declined. I feel like a whole new person honestly. Best of luck to you!

Danielle

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 345 views