Loosing my hair since week 15 post op.

Sylvia G.
on 5/16/18 3:34 pm, edited 5/16/18 8:34 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I started noticing hair loss almost immediately (any time I've had anesthesia in the past, it has caused hair loss for me) and noticed the effects (I could see my scalp) at around 4 months post-op. I researched what to do and read that Biotin supplements can cause unwanted facial hair...so that's out. What was recommended to me and it seemed to work...part my hair on the opposite side, try to get some lift in the area where it was thinning, go really easy on blow drying and styling my hair, and most importantly...drink tons of water, make sure to take all vitamins and supplements and take in tons of protein. We're all doing that so that part should be easy.

I just had to edit my post...proof that my brain is not functioning well.

Mentally, I haven't felt right since my surgery. My memory is terrible! It is getting a little better but it's a struggle. I didn't return to my stressful and demanding job after surgery...I can only imagine what a nightmare that would have been.

maryjokringas
on 5/16/18 4:13 pm

Consider taking large doses of Vitamin C, 1000 mg a day and then up to 4,000 mg a day.

I had hair loss for years until I read about the mal-absorption that happens from reduced stomach acid after my stomach size was reduced. The problem being that I then did not absorb the HCL/Pepsin that is normally used to replace stomach acid. I happened upon the Vitamin C solution because Vit. C helps with iron absorption, and the lack of iron may also have been supporting the hair loss.

I tried biotin supplements and special shampoos; they did not help my hair growth.

The Vitamin C also works to

a) help absorb iron

b) avoid the constipation from the iron supplement

Still, it took about 18 months after starting the Vitamin C/iron supplements for my hair to grow long and thick again.

Best,

Mary Jo

Erin T.
on 5/16/18 6:06 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I had major hair loss from 6-10 months. I went from having really thick hair to much less. As other's have said, there isn't any shampoo or vitamin that will stop the loss or regrow your hair. I do treat what is left gently. I don't use any products, I try to dry it naturally as much as possible and I use high quality (but not gimmicky) shampoo and conditioner.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 529 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 418 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?