What's up with fruit?

Teenie
on 5/19/18 6:50 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Thanks this really helps

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

califsleevin
on 5/20/18 2:23 pm - CA

Kim is quite correct that we are fairly insensitive to diet for the first year, give or take, so that we are free to work on habits that fit our long term maintenance and weight control goals. If that means that you want to do a low carb style of diet forever, skipping fruits and a lot of veg and grains, that's fine. For me, I did indeed work a maintenance focused diet during that loss phase, which meant not avoiding fruits, vegetables (including the occasional root vegetables) and grains as they fit within my basic protein and caloric limits. There is no particular problem with oatmeal, particularly if you are adding protein powder to it, unless it is something that triggers you to crave junk food - chips, Twinkies, etc.

I don't know about most 5 year vets, but it does seem that most on here don't eat much fruit or oatmeal as many never really transitioned away from their low carb weight loss diet and, at least in the VSG world, most still need to supplement as if they had an RNY, so they aren't getting as much nutrition from their diet as they should. This is rare amongst the 10-20 year vets that I know who don't have any problem eating a normally balanced human diet, but most never got into the low carb diet thing in the first place.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/18 7:03 am

For me fruit can be a trigger food to cakes and other carbs I shouldn't be eating.

if I eat fruit it is usually if I will eat berries.

I Moderation is one thing that isn't something I can do very well with

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views