Has anyone tried CBD for pain

Julia S.
on 5/24/18 9:45 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Since I can no longer take ibuprofen and Tylenol does nothing for me. My counselor recommended I try CBD as it is also good for anxiety and PTSD. I live in Oregon so it is legal here, just wondered if anyone had tried it and has any information about it.

Thanks for your help.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Jester
on 5/24/18 10:34 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I believe that CBD is technically legal in all 50 states when extracted from hemp and has no (or extremely limited) THC content. It's a bit of a grey area, but just wanted to point that out before continuing.

There are 2 types of CBD you can purchase. That extracted from hemp, and that extracted from cannabis. Since you live in a legal state, I would strongly encourage you to obtain CBD from cannabis. This can come in many forms - plant based, oils, candies, etc. You should be able to find it with no THC, or with THC - your call as to what you prefer.

I suggest extracted from Cannabis over hemp as I have heard a lot of conflicting info about the hemp extracts, including the fact that some of them contain almost no CBD. It has become a bit of a "snake oil" industry to some degree.

As to rather CBD will work for you, I would say the only way to know for sure is to try it. It seems the effects vary from individual to individual, and depending on the source of the pain. Will it be effective on acute pain? Probably not. Headaches? Maybe. Pain due to inflammation - there is a good chance it could act as an anti-inflammatory. Some people report much better results when using CBD with a low does of THC. Others say CBD on its own works magic.

CBD on its own should offer no mental impairment, but in combination with THC, will give you a "high" as a side effect.

I'm not familiar with the specific testing/labeling laws in Oregon, but I would also recommend going to a dispensary that tests the product and will give you the results (if not already mandated by law). This would help you quite a bit in determining an effective dose if it turns out to be helpful to you.

MarinaGirl
on 5/24/18 10:46 am

My 83 yr old father has severe back and shoulder pain due to arthritis. I bought him some CBD ointment a few months ago and it works better than the prescription Lidocaine patch he had been using. So now we keep him stocked with the CBD ointment and his nurse aide massages it on the sore areas whenever she comes over. My sister recently bought a CBD-only vape cartridge and she's going to have him try it to see if it also helps with pain management.

MarinaGirl
on 5/24/18 10:51 am

Dad lives in California and his adult children live in Oregon, Washington, and Cali, so we're able to easily get CBD cannabis products for him. I have tried CBD-only edibles, which are non-psychoactive, and they've helped with the occasional migraines I suffer from.

Linda W.
on 5/24/18 11:00 am - Clearlake, CA

My daughter has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and also has issues with anxiety and depression. She has a difficult time getting some of her prescriptions due to the high cost and the ones the doctor prescribed her are not covered under her very limited insurance plan. She uses CBD as a topical ointment, and it greatly relieves her pain. It does not eliminate it, but it makes it bearable. She uses the non-THC CBD. She is currently living in Nevada, but first tried it in California and Washington.

Linda    
Julia S.
on 5/24/18 12:02 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Thank you all for the information, there is a CBD only store I was going to visit. From what I have read there is an isolate form that does not contain any THC that I was going to try. I have also heard that the lotion works well. I didn't want to do anything that would cause increased hunger or problems for my pouch.

I'll update you when I try it.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

ScottAndrews
on 5/24/18 1:56 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I took a capsule at work once and I was quite stoned.

LindyLin
on 5/25/18 8:32 am

I'm a DC resident and have a medical marijuana card. I use CBD oil daily as well as some natural form with a small bit of THC. I use it for migraines and back pain but will continue it after surgery. I love it- it's wonderful.

MyBariatricLife
on 5/30/18 5:02 pm

I tried two different brands and neither provided therapeutic value to me.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/18 2:42 am, edited 12/18/18 6:42 pm

I have been using CBD oil a month or so ago to counteract joint pain from Taxol/Herceptin and the results were amazing. But everyone reacts differently to the same meds. More info on CBD oil by link

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics