wondering

Anita Jo
on 6/1/18 2:29 pm - Elmira, NY

i had the RNY Aug 2003 almost to goal after bad habits.. .. will doing protein shakes and supper help to lose?

i don't eat carbs since i been doing keto for a year now. i was just wondering what u all thought about this.

Emiepie
on 6/1/18 3:02 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Afternoon! Just my two-cents I don't think I would feel satisfied with a shake for dinner. My advice would be to go back some basics if you're not already: dense protein, get in your water, don't drink with meals or for at least 30 minutes. Best of luck to you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 4:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your best bet is to focus on habits you can stick with in the long-term. Doing nothing but protein shakes is not sustainable! Instead, make sure your meals are primarily lean, dense protein, and maybe a few bites of veggie if you still have room.

All meat all the time! :-D

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Anita Jo
on 6/5/18 8:01 am - Elmira, NY

ok thanks.. i meant having protein shakes through out the day till supper time..

RMG112
on 6/14/18 11:55 am, edited 6/14/18 7:07 am

I am almost to my 12th year anniversary and I've gained back about 60lbs. About a month ago I stumbled across keto and haven't looked back! What a fantastic way to go and totally loving it. But I digress, I've also looked at protein shakes just for the ease of use for breakfast. I found it to actually be more difficult to incorporate as well as having some bm issues (constipation). I would steer clear, but that's just me and what works for me. Good luck!!

Anita Jo
on 6/14/18 1:55 pm - Elmira, NY

august will be 15 years since my RNY. i have been doing keto for a year. i now have added 2 protein shakes a day. oh i am having big issues of bm. sometimes i want to give up on keto since i cant go bm....

RMG112
on 6/15/18 10:43 am

Have you tried 1tbsp of lime or lemon juice in your water? I squeeze about that into at least one of my water bottles a day. It seems to help me with the bm's. And if I had to drink one more bottle of plain water it was going to get ugly! ? I've had that issue since my rny, going so far as a colonoscopy to ensure it wasn't something else. I was "prescribed" Miralax to help all those many years ago and help it did. I just had to learn a proportion that didn't do the opposite! I was told it was the amount of protein causing the clog. Protein shakes exacerbated that for me. Perhaps cut back on the shakes? Or add flax seed? Just suggestions...

As for the keto, I think it just mentally helped me back to the new habits I developed and subsequently forgot. I need to lose the regain and it's really good for that. I'm not so sure once I get to my comfortable weight if I will be completely keto, I may go paleo to incorporate the starchy veggies and fruits. I do miss mango and pineapple!

Anita Jo
on 6/16/18 6:59 am - Elmira, NY

no, i will try lemon juice. my dr prescribed miralax i take it every morning and i take 3 stool softeners as well.

Laura in Texas
on 6/15/18 3:26 am

If you have already cut out carbs, you will need to cut back on calories, too. Track every bite. For me I maintain on about 2000 calories a day. To lose weight, I cut back to 1500/day.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Anita Jo
on 6/16/18 7:00 am - Elmira, NY

hmm i need to start tracking but i dont know how to track my homemade foods thank you

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Forum Search Error & 404