What now

justlookinaround
on 7/14/18 6:44 pm

What happens when the psychologist doesnt give you the recommendation for surgery? Do we just give up and stop trying for surgery? This sucks

animallover1247
on 7/14/18 7:36 pm

Do you know the reason for denial?

justlookinaround
on 7/14/18 7:42 pm

Need therapy for depression which I understand. Just dont know to give up on surgery or what

animallover1247
on 7/14/18 7:54 pm

No don't give up on having the surgery. Are you able to begin counseling? You really need to before emotionally stable before the surgery because it's can be difficult for someone who doesn't suffer from depresion. There's really no point in getting the surgery if you don't work on coping strategies, whatever your issues with food may be, etc. You need to give yourself the best chance of success. Good luck.

justlookinaround
on 7/14/18 7:57 pm

Yes Im going to start therapy. Thank you

Writergurl08
on 7/15/18 6:58 am
RNY on 02/15/18

It's a roadblock, but not a reason to quit the process. Start therapy and they will teach you some coping strategies besides emotional eating, since that won't be as much of an option after surgery. A lot of times if the psychologist sees that you are compliant with therapy and possibly medication after a certain length of time, they may approve you yet.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

justlookinaround
on 7/15/18 10:42 am

Thanks. Im going to call the surgeon tomorrow and see what they want me to do.

TheWombat
on 7/15/18 11:19 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I have chronic depression, but it's well managed with medication. You do need to get the depression under control before having surgery. Most people experience periods when they regret the surgery, feel frustrated finding things they can eat, and so forth. Adding those challenges on top of depression could make things worse.

However, I doubt that they require you to achieve complete mental health before surgery. I'm sure they only want you to feel a little better, and to have strategies for dealing with stress and other problems after the surgery. This process may delay your surgery a few months. It certainly doesn't mean you can't have the surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics