Help - 4 weeks out and only 12.5 pounds lost; none in last 6 days

ABJ F.
on 7/20/18 6:18 am
RNY on 06/20/18

Wow - thanks for sharing your story. It helps.

Loril1963
on 7/17/18 10:42 am
RNY on 10/28/16

I know it's frustrating but i believe you have met the famous three week stall. Just keep doing what your doing, drink lots LOTS of water. Keep up your vitamins and try and take a few little walks a day. Trust me we have all been through this. Your fine, your pouch is fine and your doing great!

ABJ F.
on 7/20/18 6:19 am
RNY on 06/20/18

Thank you. It really helps to know that others have been through this too.

obxhatteraslight
on 7/17/18 11:29 am, edited 7/17/18 4:30 am - baldwinsville, NY

Oh my goodness don?t say only you?re doing fabulous. Probably the dreaded three weeks stall like everyone says but it does not last long. Be proud you Are doing great.

ABJ F.
on 7/20/18 6:20 am
RNY on 06/20/18

Thank you - I'm really trying!

hollykim
on 7/17/18 7:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Pacific Time, ABJ F. wrote:

Help. It's been 4 weeks since my surgery and I've only lost 12.5 pounds. I haven't lost any weight since July 11 - 6 days ago. I started at 303.25 and now I'm at 290.75. Other than being extremely discouraged, my health feels pretty good.

Did anyone else have this happen?

I'm journaling my food religiously and now eating about 850-900 calories a day (and was eating far less as appropriate dusing Stage 1 & Stage 2). I'm getting my protein in. I'm exercising daily. I know that my calorie intake is about 150-200 calories more than the Stage 3 diet predicts I should eat so that's probably part of the issue. But before the pre-op diet, I was eating 2,000 calories a day and not losing or gaining. And now I'm consistently under 900. How is it the scale is not moving at all?

Did anyone else experience this? I'm feeling so bummed out. This is when the weight loss is supposed to be fast. And this feels so slow compared to other people. And I'm scared that it's going to go even slower over time.

what does a days menu look like for you?

ABJ F.
on 7/20/18 6:23 am
RNY on 06/20/18

Lots of protein (cottage cheese, fish), veggies, some fats (avocado), some soft fruit.

hollykim
on 7/20/18 7:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, ABJ F. wrote:

Lots of protein (cottage cheese, fish), veggies, some fats (avocado), some soft fruit.

apparently that 150-250 cals more that you are eating is putting you into maintenance. Most of us have to be at 600-800 cals to lose and not maintain.

i suggest you drop the fruit. IT is pure sugar and as long as you give your body pure sugar to burn for energy, your body will not burn your stored fat, which is what causes weight loss.

I realize fruit may be listed on your plan but eating it doesn't facilitate weight loss.

Daisydoo02
on 7/18/18 6:08 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Ask yourself this, when ever in your life pre surgery did you lose 12.5lbs in a month, I suspect never.

12.5 / 4 = 3.13 lbs a week which in my opinion is excellent.

At 4 weeks out was eating maybe 400-500 calories a day. I personally think 900 calories a day is way too much for this early out. I will be honest and say that I don't even eat that much now at 5 yrs out. I always like to say to people that its easier to add a little bit of calories as you get further and further out versus starting out high and then when or it the weight loss stops its really hard to take your calories down.

Right now you want your body to burn off your extra fat, feed it less calories and it will start using your fat reserves and viola you lose weight. I know everyone here on OH is different. I am just telling you my story and what worked for me. Low calorie, high protein, little to no carbs. I work out daily at the gym, I have since I was 7 months post op, I do this for toning my body and for my mental and emotional health and I NEVER eat back my exercise calories.

Following your Centre's plan is good but do leave some leeway to change it up a bit if needed. I found that coming to OH and listening to the "Vets" (Veterans) who were successful that they clearly knew way more than the Dietitians at my Centre, they were the ones that lead me to be so successful post op.

I highly recommend if you are not already to either read or join the "What's on your menu today RNYers? you will see what people are eating at all stages post op and get some great food ideas, meet some awesome people and hopefully it will all help you on this journey.

And yes as other said the "3 week stall" is a thing. Don't be surprised if you have many stalls as you lose weight. Your body loses, then "adjusts" and while adjusting there is no weight loss, then it looses again and then "adjusts" with no weight loss. Very common. Welcome and keep up the great work.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

ABJ F.
on 7/20/18 6:25 am
RNY on 06/20/18

Thanks for the advice. I have been cutting back on calories to help push me out of this stall. I've seen a little movement so that's good.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?