Post op surprises

smile7390
on 7/28/18 7:19 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone! I had my surgery on Monday. I was able to have the RNY (wasn't sure if I'd be able to because of a hernia I have) so I was super happy. Hospital was fine, everything has been fine except for the unexpected surprises. Sorry if it is too much info- ever since my first bowel movement I have had runny poo. Seemed normal. But it's kinda been diahhrea now and has been going on all week. It's been so draining. My pain from the surgery is totally fine but this is making it to where I can't leave the house Or go far from the bathroom. Any ideas, suggestions, people who experienced the same things.

Writergurl08
on 7/28/18 7:32 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I experienced similar and it went away on its own. Keep in mind you're not eating much solid right now so...yeah. And so soon after an abdominal surgery, it's better than the alternative! You can ask your doc if there's something you can take, but mine didn't want me taking anything. I was off work for 4 weeks anyway, so I just stuck close to home and got through it. Good luck!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

smile7390
on 7/28/18 7:49 am - Toronto, Canada

Yes thankfully I'm off work for four to six weeks. I hope it does go away!

Trigna
on 7/28/18 12:42 pm
RNY on 11/29/13 with

I hope you feel better soon! I hear it's normal but don't be hesitant to call your doc if your cramps get bad.

figure it's good to put my experience out there so others can be aware: mine got worse and worse, and super painful... like unbearable. Turned out to be C-Diff, caught at the hospital. I waited to call the do****il 2AM one night the cramps were so bad I was in tears and couldn't stand it anymore-- way longer than I should have because, when I asked, everyone else was having post op "issues" to a degree.

ScaleSkater
on 7/28/18 7:02 pm, edited 7/28/18 12:02 pm

Your system is waking up from surgery. Digestive system should calm soon. But call surgeon on Monday to check in if no better. Good luck

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

MLongoria
on 7/28/18 11:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/18

We're surgery twins! How ya holding up?

NYMom222
on 7/29/18 6:33 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Mine was like that for a long time after surgery. Then it swung the other way...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Patty R.
on 7/29/18 8:21 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Sometimes it's the protein shakes. Some can tolerate certain brands and others, not so much...

Feel better soon!

rocky513
on 7/30/18 4:34 am - WI

You may have become lactose intolerant after surgery. I had the same problem for months after RNY until I found out that my protein powder was loaded with lactose. When I switched to an all whey isolate formula (not a mixture of protein sources) the problem stopped. Whey concentrate contains lactose, whey isolate is 99% lactose free. Check your labels. I started mixing my protein with almond milk, or cashew milk (my favorite). I found that I could still eat cheese and Greek yogurt, but milk sends me running for the bathroom.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

jaspect
on 7/30/18 5:21 am

I have had chronic diarrhea for years and I was told by my surgeon that the RNY would not fix that. So, in the hospital, on the day of discharge which was 5 days after surgery, I started my diarrhea again. So much that the hospital provided me with an adult diaper. That was fun having my daughter and the nurse put that on! Then I remember a doctor telling me to stop drinking apple juice after surgery bc it will give you the runs. So, anyway, for a couple of days I had the runs but now, and I'm only 3 weeks out, have to force a bowel movement. It's frustrating because I'm now taking stool softeners and looking for fiber. So, be glad you got the diarrhea because it will stop and you will wish you can go!!! Good luck!

Lap Band: Mexico 2014 (280 lbs)

Sleeve: Mexico 2010 (240 lbs)

RNY and Hiatal Hernia Repair: USA 2018 (210 lbs)

Goal: 160 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 381 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 238 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views