NEW

Livebetter
on 8/21/18 11:23 am

I am new and wondering if anyone has had their gastric bypass at Gelph hospital this year 2018? How was your journey and any tips for the 1st appt. With the dietician and social worker?

rny_ivy
on 8/21/18 11:57 am

Hi! Do you mean Guelph General in Ontario?

I'm not at the Guelph hospital, but I am going to the Etobicoke one (Humber) and I think it's the same program since it's all OHIP. I haven't gotten the surgery yet but have met with almost everyone I need to before the surgeon will set the date and they have all approved me. I still need to meet with my internist, but they're being weird and I don't think I'll be able to see him until January... :(

For the dietitian and the social worker appointments, make sure you really know about the surgery (like how your body will be different, ie, smaller stomach, duodenum bypassed in RNY, etc), the risks, also the different food stages post surgery. They will also ask you what changes you have made now to prepare for surgery, so keep that in mind! I just met with the dietitian last week and I met the social worker last month, so it's all pretty fresh if you have any specific questions.

Livebetter
on 8/21/18 1:43 pm

Thanks for your response Ivy. It is at Guelph Hospital in Ontario. I am prepared for the dietician. I have a food journal, at least 3 weeks worth, to see what changes are needed. I have meet the nurse already. The social worker will be the same day as the dietician appt. I started my journey on July 19, which was the orientation day. I had my sleep test and now diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I will be now getting a cpap...who new? When I meet the nuse she gave me a Risk booklet and I have studied it and made notes. A lot to intake but I am ready for this journey however, I hope I am accepted to do this surgeryð?'§

rny_ivy
on 8/21/18 3:32 pm

I think with three weeks worth they'll be really happy! I only had to do three days, but I gave mine four just to be safe.

My SO has sleep apnea and he sleeps so much better now with his CPAP. He kept pushing off sleep tests and didn't think he had sleep apnea, but now he really recognizes a difference. Hopefully you'll be feeling and sleeping much better once you get your machine!

I hope you're accepted too, keep us posted! My aunt had a VSG surgery 2 years ago at Guelph and she only had good things to say.

post-op RNY (surgery date: April 5, 2019)

Livebetter
on 8/21/18 5:22 pm

Thanks so much Ivy, I am nervous. I noticed online that Humber River has a great program. Years ago I was denied gastric bypass with them because my bmi was 36 and no other complication. The Humber River online bariactric book is great, lots of info. I will keep you posted on the cpap. I have an appt. Aug. 28. I was told by the dr. that it will cost about 1400. Then I have to wear this to sleep and give a 2 week report to Gelph. Have you been told about a program Crave Change. Are you taking it. They also want me to a purchase a weight loss surgery workbook. Did you do this too? Thanks ?

rny_ivy
on 8/22/18 7:33 am

Wow! Will insurance cover any of you CPAP machine?

I haven't heard of Crave Change before but I quickly googled it. They didn't bring it up during the info session or anything, nor did my social worker or dietitian. I did tell both of them that I have been working on and have mostly improved my emotional eating, so perhaps that is why? It looks like Craving Change is CBT, which is what I've been trying/doing and I think it works.

As for the book, we were told before the info session we could purchase it (I believe $20) or we could print it ourselves from online (found here). I looked at it on my phone for a bit and realized how big it was so I decided I would just buy it from them to make it easier. They always say you should bring your book with you to every appointment, but no one has asked to see it ever. That's the only book that's been mentioned, though!

post-op RNY (surgery date: April 5, 2019)

Livebetter
on 8/22/18 12:17 pm

Yes, the cpap will be partially subsizied and today I did see the dietician and social worker. Everything went well. My next appt will be with nurse, dietician and social worker on Oct. 22. Thanks for your input Ivyð?'§ Wish me luck but it will be a while.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 384 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views