10 years...and sick

Blush
on 8/26/18 1:29 pm - Nashville, TN

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this I haven't been active in a while.

I recently passed 10 years since my surgery and completely believe it saved my life, but I am having so severe health problems and am wondering if they are related to my surgery.

I am extremely anemic. It has happened before and a few IV treatments and I perk up and am fine. This time it was so low they sent me for blood transfusions than 4 IV iron treatments. My follow up labs showed no improvement so more blood transfusions and am now going through a round of IV iron. My hematologist is great and has other bariatric patients but most of her patients are cancer patients. My bariatric surgeon retired years ago and I haven't seen anyone in in years.

I have been lucky to not have a lot of complications (some dietary issues like still can't handle dairy). Is this because of my surgery? Could finding a bariatric surgeon willing to treat me help or will they do the same things the hematologist is doing?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/26/18 4:06 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Low iron is very common after WLS, especially the further out you get. A lot of folks need regular iron infusions.

You dont need a bariatric surgeon. Having a PCP with some understanding of post WLS life would be nice, but not crucial.

First, do you have regular yearly labwork done? And a DEXA bone density scan every two years? Thise are vital. You want COMPLETE labs, with all vitamins and minerals tested. That takes about 15 vials of blood to run them all. If they are only taking 4 or 5 vials, they are skipping too many important tests.

If you are that severely anemic, at 10 years out you could be very low on other things.

Do you keep up with daily supplements? If so, what are you taking?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Blush
on 8/26/18 4:17 pm - Nashville, TN

Thank you for responding.

I am on Rx iron, vitamin D, and b-12 shots. I also take an over the counter multi vitamin. I got really low about 4 years ago and did a round if iron infusions.

I started feeling really bad recently and ended up in the ER and had 2 blood transfusions. Went back to the hematologist and did a round if infusions but felt worse. A week after my last treatment my numbers hadn't improved so 2 more blood transfusions and am having another round of infusions.

At this point they are concerned it is something more than my RnY.

I also struggle with low blood sugar and low blood pressure.

Just wasn't sure if a surgeon would have more experience, but finding one interested in treating me 10 years post OP might be difficult.

Lap RNY - August 12, 2008 - 365/340/193/175
Au_Contraire
on 8/28/18 10:26 am

In case you are taking just one multivitamin, increase it to two per day. Our absorption restrictions require more than other people would need to take.

I hope you feel much better very soon.

Laura in Texas
on 8/26/18 6:08 pm

What are your iron and ferritin numbers? I am also 10 years out. My iron level has always been good, but my ferritin dropped to 9. I increased it to 35 by taking Proferrin, a heme iron.

What type of iron is your rx? It may not be the best type for an RNY patient. Many of us do have iron issues the further out we get and have to have infusions. Some of us, like me, are able to raise our levels with iron supplements.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/18 4:42 pm

There are great digestible iron increasing pills out there ferro- sequels contains four varieties of highly digestible iron. Common iron pills do not work for us.

White Dove
on 8/26/18 7:23 pm - Warren, OH

You are on the right track with a hematologist. I feel a bit strange going to the cancer center for my appointments, but that is where hematologists work.

I still see my bariatric surgeon yearly, but he just refers me to the hematologist and endocrinologist when needed. His main specialty is cutting, not treating post-op problems.

I still do not handle chicken, eggs, dairy, or fruit well That is because of the surgery. I don't expect that to ever change.

I eat beef, pork, fish and for some reason turkey is fine. Low iron really sucks and really makes me tired. Without my hematologist, I would have a hard time getting off the couch some days.

Stay on top of your labs, it is not always easy to catch up once things get too low and seems harder each time it happens.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

animallover1247
on 8/27/18 4:26 pm

Don't know if this is true or not because I haven't researched it but my surgeon said regardless of iron supplementation after bypass, about 10% of bypass patients will still need infusions due to the body not absorbing the iron . I asked because I was concerned about this as I was anemic before surgery.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/27/18 7:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have no idea if that statistic is correct or not -- or even if anyone tracks that data. But from all the people I've seen pass through OH over the last several years, 10 percent seems about right.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/18 4:44 pm, edited 8/27/18 9:44 am

I?m finding that all I can eat is fish and fat free dairy which is FINE. My favorite food always has been and will be rice and beans lol

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 216 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics