Curious and looking for support.

Nurse8724
on 9/2/18 4:59 pm

Hello everyone, I've been reading these forums everyday for the passed couple of months since I decided that WLS might be my only option to get healthy and sustain weight loss. The idea of surgery is scary to me but when I came to the realization that hope was left through WLS and lifestyle change it was like an epiphany. Lol. If I can get it done it will be a while from now. In the meantime I'm just researching and coming here almost daily to inform myself and even use your experience, stength, and hope as support to lose weight one more time through diet and exercise or until I finally make that step to schedule a consult. I have lots of questions but figured I would submit an introduction first. Lol. Btw, I'm a 30 year old female 5'8 245lbs. I may be down a few pounds as I've been trying hard to eat healthy this last month. Sorry for the long post.

Writergurl08
on 9/2/18 5:28 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Welcome! This is a great place to come research personal experiences. Do you have any specific questions? I had RNY gastric bypass in Feb, but I started coming here over a year ago when I decided to begin the process. I'm not much older than you--just turned 33 this month. I am 5"7' and started at 340 lbs (my stats are in my signature)

i started going to the "what's on your menu" thread that gets started every morning and reading what people were eating in every stage--from newly post op to years down the road. I started posting almost daily myself months before I'd even had surgery and I attribute a lot of my current success to imitating some of the eating patterns I picked up here (cutting carbs, high protein). Stick around, it's a great resource!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

conazza
on 9/2/18 7:18 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Hello!

you are doing exactly what a lot of us do. Coming here and reading every day is of great support and can really point you in the right direction. Congratulations for making such an important step to better your health and welcome!

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Nurse8724
on 9/2/18 8:15 pm

Thank you so much for your replies! To be honest I am considering surgery in my future. Due to life cir****tances, I don't feel like it would be doable for a year or two. At first I thought rny would be the way to go because I heard that it's the gold standard but all the reading I've been doing about the vsg is making me lean more in that direction. In general, just finding this website has encouraged me to see what I can do from changing my eating patterns and exercising while doing a few things differently than I've done before on failed weight loss attempts. A big change would be not obsessing over the scale. I'm in recovery from alcohol and substance addiction and I'm also a nurse. Lol. I've been sober nearly 5 years and have no desire to drink or use at all but I can't quit gaining weight. Obviously I'm the epitome of tranfer addiction! I've tried to 12 step my food addiction but it doesn't seem the same and there are no overeaters anonymous meetings anywhere near me. The great thing is that reading on these forums seems to be helping me on eating better right now. I want to continue posting and reading I just don't want to be annoying by using it as a tool for any weight loss I can achieve without surgery for now. In the meantime, I do plan to post questions directly related to the surguries themselves. What do y'all think?

Writergurl08
on 9/2/18 8:35 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Both are great surgeries, and you'll encounter many successful people here who've had either. Your surgeon may suggest one over the other based on any other medical issues or findings...many require a battery of tests and clearances before having this surgery and may steer you one way or another.

Its good you're aware of transfer addiction! Unfortunately it's a reality, although most weight loss surgery patients seem to do the opposite and transfer food addiction into drug or alcohol addiction. Food addiction is probably harder because you still need to eat--you can't just quit food!

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views