Trying to decide if I should revise from band to RNY.

elcee
on 9/23/18 4:38 pm

Hi

Banded in 2009, initially successful but now it is pretty useless. Saw my surgeon last week and he recommended an RNY.

Looking for info so I can make an informed decision.

Good, bad, ugly I want to know it all.

e.g.

Long term success rate.

Complications

Dumping - what causes it, what does it feel like

Regrets

Failures

What does an average days food look like

TIA

Writergurl08
on 9/23/18 7:38 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Hello! I'm not a revision, but I can address a couple of these items.

Dumping: it doesn't happen to everyone and everyone doesn't dump from the same things. I've (unfortunately) discovered that I can have tastes of sweets just fine, but ice cream makes me dump. It feels like hot flashes, sweats, nausea, and gut cramping. It doesn't always result in throwing up or having diarrhea, but it can.

an average day of eating for me is usually something like coffee with a protein shake used as creamer for breakfast, and maybe a yogurt or hard boiled egg about mid morning. Lunch varies, but I often have a tuna creations packet, string cheese, and maybe a pickle spear. Sometimes I'll have a salad with 2-3 oz of chicken (or other protein). Or I'll just have leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner is usually 3-4 oz of protein and 1/2 C of vegetable.

My surgery was in February and I haven't had any complications. I lose weight slower than I anticipated and stall for weeks at a time frequently, but my pattern is pretty regular, so the slow loss doesn't worry me too terribly much.

Hope that helps?

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

seattledeb
on 9/23/18 9:11 pm

Do you want weight loss surgery or just the band removed?

RnY is a good surgery I think but it's a lifelong commitment to a way of eating and a daily vitamin regime.

There are many band to RnY folks around.

elcee
on 9/24/18 5:20 pm

I want a long term weight loss assistant that works

bethmal
on 9/24/18 3:30 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I am band to bypass. I had my band removed August of 2017 and revised to rny in December of 2017. I am new to this but I can try to help. I was banded in 2007 initially lost 80ish pounds with the band and then developed severe acid reflux and GERD.

I have lost just over 90ish pounds in 9 months. I feel good most of the time occasionally I feel tired and have no energy but that is my own fault for not getting to my protein goal. I haven't had any complications unless having my gallbladder removed counts. I haven't 'dumped' because I don't test the limits (my choice) I just don't want to go there. My only regret is that I didn't revise sooner. Acid reflux is no joke and now I have none. I am not sure about my failures - I guess I will find out and handle those mistakes as they come.

A day of food looks like this:

B: overnight oats (1/4 C. oatmeal, 1/4 C. greek vanilla yogurt, 1/4 C. milk, and a few blueberries)

S: PP chocolate shake

L: about a cup of chicken enchilada soup (homemade)

D: chicken thigh and vegetable

I change it up quite a bit but that is what I meal prepped for the week.

Lots of water and vitamins every day!

Hope this helps!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

elcee
on 9/24/18 5:21 pm

Thanks

Thats helpful

Lucile777
on 9/25/18 6:45 pm

I'm 11 months out and I do regret not eating properly in my life. I regret getting the RNY sometimes, but it's ok, I guess. I started at 285 and am 166 today. So that's a huge pro.

PROS: mobility, confidence, shopping for clothes that fit in regular stores, being more active with my kids, eating less. My husband is on my set a lot more.

CONS: saggy skin, not being able to guzzle weather, having to take vitamins everyday, fatigue, worried about gaining back as I have been eating chips and coke lately without being sick. Hunger does return.

I dumped once and can eat sugar with ease. Problem is there's foods that are bad for you that go down fairly easily like ice cream, cookies, popcorn, and chocolate. Cake gets stuck. Bread gets stuck. Healthy things like broccoli gets stuck. So annoying.

I was down to 163 but have gained back 5, then down 2, etc. I'm terrified of regain, but I"ve done it to myself. self sabotage expert. Always have been. Trying not to always be.

Today I ate: a premier protein shake, a HUGE cup of chai tea with 2% milk (no-no because of caffeine and fattening milk), a light baby bel cheese with 3 crackers, an Activia yogurt, my vitamins, but lost it after work with a snickers, 2 huge bowls of chips, a small bowl of pasta. Yes. I suck. FML.

elcee
on 9/26/18 3:26 am

A lot of those cons are the same when you have a tight or properly adjusted band.

e.g cant chug water

loose skin etc applies to any large weight loss it's a sad side effect of having gained in the first place.

tiredness - isn't that just a general life thing? Although I probably have more energy than when i was younger, probably because i'm not working and the kids have left home

The hunger and the subsequent regain thing is what worries me. I know any surgery is only a tool but I want it to be an effective and long lasting tool.

And those sliders are a pita - I have a bad chocolate and wine habit!

Lucile777
on 9/25/18 11:46 am

oh btw I'm not a revision. Forgot to mention 2 MAJOR CONS!!!! I had to get my gallbladder removed due to rapid weight loss- that was soooooooo painful. So much more painful than the RNY. I also got a really bad ulcer and have to take daily medication for that. Not fun.

elcee
on 9/26/18 3:26 am

That doesn't sound like fun

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views