Cramping on top foot.

browneyes65
on 10/13/18 3:41 pm - IN

Im' not sure if this is a related Vitamin deffientcy or not but the last few days the top of my feet have been hurting. Is there anything I can check ? last night I kert feeling like they were cramping also during the day. Thanks

MarinaGirl
on 10/13/18 6:13 pm

Are you consuming more than 64 oz of water a day? Could be dehydration, Charlie horses, shoes that don't fit well, too much walking in sandals, old tennis shoes, or any number of things unrelated to WLS.

Cathy H.
on 10/14/18 7:37 am, edited 10/14/18 12:37 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Low magnesium can also cause foot cramps. Might try a low dose of magnesium supplement and see if it helps.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

ScaleSkater
on 10/15/18 6:34 am

Were you diabetic before surgery? I had developing neuropathy that has lessened, but not gone away post-op. My doctor says that once that develops, you got it. Could you have signs of that going on? I also find that if my feet are acting up (outside of the neuropathy), my knees are usually out requiring a chiro visit or at least a good support taping - kinesiology tape (sp?).

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/18 1:46 pm

Adding magnesium daily stopped this for me.... I experienced bad foot and leg cramps as well and they went totally away with magnesium. I have used magnesium oxide. Or magnesium citrate I buy whichever is a better deal.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/15/18 2:33 pm

Cramping of all types has been mineral problem for me. Probably magnesium related. Epsom salts foot bath/follow directions on package/ will help if this is problem... If that helps, I have added K2, once daily, to my regimine to help with proper use of minerals. there is also a magnesium oil that can be used topically.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/18 3:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sometimes, we have a tendency to blame any health issue on our surgery. But in reality, there are TONS of reasons that you could be hurting, completely unrelated to surgery.

• Stepped on it wrong
  • Shoes are too tight
  • Feet swelling (from TOM)
  • Dehydration
  • Athlete's foot
  • Etc.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Momma2nicknmike
on 10/23/18 5:01 pm - Beavercreek, OH

I had been having cramps on the top of my feet and the sides of my legs. I upped my magnesium and added potassium and still had cramps. I mentioned it to my Podiatrist and he said to drink 6 ounces of tonic water with 6 cc's of added lime (not lemon) juice before bed. I usually just squeeze half of the lime into the tonic water and don't measure out 6 cc's. I have not had a cramp since starting this a week and a half ago. I would not have believed it had I not tried it.

Lynne    

LuckyLoser
on 10/23/18 10:43 pm - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Tonic water contains a very low content of quinine. The only current FDA-approved use of prescription-strength quinine is for the prevention or treatment of malaria.

In the past, quinine was prescribed off-label and also sold over-the-counter for the FDA-unapproved purpose of treating leg cramps. Quinine has never been proven scientifically to do this.

I***** the FDA took all quinine medications off the market except for one prescription-strength brand. This is because quinine can cause serious adverse effects such as heart arrhythmias and thrombocytopenia (low platelets) leading to bleeding. Quinine also interacts with many medications.

So your Podiatrist may have recommended tonic water for your leg and foot cramps with the thought that the low content of quinine in it might relieve those muscle cramps.

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 168 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?