Anxiety meds?

MsKitty12345
on 10/23/18 4:03 am
RNY on 12/05/16

I've been having a horrible time getting my anxiety meds right ever since my surgery. I think it has something to do with the absorption post-surgery. Anyone else have this issue? If not, what do you take, and did your dosage change post op?

MsKitty...

momyshaver
on 10/23/18 4:26 am
VSG on 06/28/17

have you tried any anxiety medicines that go under your tongue? I have done that to reduce having to swallow pills and absorption issues. I know not every medication is available that way but it has helped me. I have actually reduced my dosage post op but my body weight is lower too. Physiology and metabolics is a moving target post op I think

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/18 7:01 am

Taking my meds before bed or first thing am helped me. When we malabsorb food, and take meds with food - we may have a hard time to predict how much meds we absorb, and how much mixed with food that passed without being absorbed.

Some meds i take I not only take with no food, but I also chew them to help my body to absorb it faster.

In addition - make sure your anxiety pills are not ER- extended release. Most of us can't really absorb ER meds. If you need to dose the meds - you may ask the doc for meds with rapid release, and divide the dose and tsktit ,2 x a day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

momyshaver
on 10/23/18 7:07 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Yes - I forgot to mention that I always take my medications (all kinds) the same way. Same time of day, with/without food, etc. because those all impact how much medicine is absorbed and how it works (for me). I do not take any ER medications

ilovemyguts
on 10/23/18 10:21 am
RNY on 08/07/18

How long have you noticed the meds not working well? I noticed within about a week after surgery. I take an SSRI and I was getting the "brain shock" withdrawal feelings that I would get pre-surgery if I forgot to take my meds for a few days, so it wasn't absorbing very well. About 2 months prior to surgery, I started taking CBD oil sublingually and so while I got the brain shocks for a few days, my anxiety has not been an issue, I think because of the CBD oil. I get mine prescribed by a doctor and as of a few days ago, it's completely legal in Canada, but I think CBD is legal in all states as well. My brain shocks are gone now but lasted 2-3 weeks. I suspect my 50mg dose doesn't get absorbed fully so if you aren't into trying CBD, perhaps talk to your dr about increasing the dose of your meds? (Eg if you take 50mg of something, see if it might be worth trying an increase to 75mg?) Take care!

MsKitty12345
on 10/23/18 2:28 pm
RNY on 12/05/16

CBD is legal here because there's no THC in it. My celexa gradually stopped working over several months. The doctor says that happens sometimes. I had divided the dosage and it seemed to work better. Maybe I need to do that with this one too.

MsKitty...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/23/18 11:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What med(s) are you on? Are they normal version, or extended-release?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MsKitty12345
on 10/23/18 2:21 pm
RNY on 12/05/16

Used to be on celexa but it pooped out after 10 years. Doc moved me to Prozac (not ER, but long 1/2 life). I go back to the psychiatrist on Thursday. I will ask him about dissolving the pills or something to go under the tongue. Maybe shots. I don't really care, just want to get back to "normal me."

MsKitty...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/23/18 2:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you've had good luck with Celexa in the past, I would suggest asking about Lexapro. The two meds are basically cousins (according to my psychiatrist), they work in your brain the same way, but the formulation is different enough that it may do the trick after the Celexa has crapped out. I've switched back and forth between those two for many years with good success, though I have VSG so I don't run into the malabsorption like you do.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get a good answer!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

obxhatteraslight
on 10/23/18 1:20 pm - baldwinsville, NY

I take quite a few meds for anxiety after surgery I called my psych practice and they told me I could crush them. It helped for a while.....good luck

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics