Could this be dumping?

MammaKathy
on 11/1/18 8:16 pm

I had a revision to RNY two weeks ago. I was eating Sugar Free Jello, and after about 3 bites, I got a terrible cramping pains near my belly button. I am still cramping and nauseated, but those are my only symptoms. I do have a lot of adhesions, pulling near my belly button, but this was dramatic.

Thank you for any input.

Amy R.
on 11/2/18 1:04 am

Probably not. I'm just about ten years out and I still dump. It's horrible. Dumping happens when you eat too much sugar and all of it is expelled from your stomach into your small intestine at the same time. Many people think that dumping is defined by intestinal cramps and diarrhea, probably due to the name.

True dumping though consists of one or all of these symptoms: Flushing, light-headedness, dizziness and rapid heart rate, nausea, feeling bloated or too full after eating, vomiting, stomach cramps. More rarely, diarrhea.

In short, you'll wish you'd just go ahead and die already. It is NO FUN.

So with Sugar Free Jello, there is no sugar to suddenly dump into your small bowel. Therefore there is no dumping. Some people do get stomach upset from sugar free or artificially sweetened products. Also, you may have swallowed too much too fast? Or it could have been too cold for your comfort.

If you have the same problem many times over it would be a good idea to run it by your surgeon. But when we are as early out as you are there are lots of fits and starts as we learn how our newly arranged digestive system works.

Good luck in your recovery. Try to remember that only 30% of RnY folks dump and you may not even have to worry about it. It has also been known to go away after a few years if you do unfortunately end up with it. I've not been so lucky, but dumping can usually be completely avoided by limiting simple sugars.

hollykim
on 11/2/18 5:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 2, 2018 at 3:16 AM Pacific Time, MammaKathy wrote:

I had a revision to RNY two weeks ago. I was eating Sugar Free Jello, and after about 3 bites, I got a terrible cramping pains near my belly button. I am still cramping and nauseated, but those are my only symptoms. I do have a lot of adhesions, pulling near my belly button, but this was dramatic.

Thank you for any input.

sounds like a reaction to the artificial sweetener in the product.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 73 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?