When did anyone start going to gym to tone and work on muscle?

Sunny2018
on 11/5/18 5:12 pm
RNY on 10/22/18

I am 2 weeks post op but trying to plan joining a gym near by when I'm ready to get a plan in place with personal trainer and work on my muscles. I'm not worried about cardio as I always loved to walk and have a treadmill that will be perfect as the snow flies this winter (maybe I will switch up with some water aerobics to be gentle on my joints).

For those who are "pumping some iron" when did you start? I know I will still have some kind of bingo wave below, but that's no reason not to get some definition above.

Curious to see what the responses are.

Thanks! Sunny

peachpie
on 11/5/18 5:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I started exercise 4 months post op. I do weight 2x per week.

And yeah I have a bingo wave- but My eye catches the muscle definition first.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

sweetpotato1959
on 11/5/18 9:00 pm

No gym available without significant drive. Dr started us on 5 min walks 4 and working up to 6 times a day at first, after 2 days of highest rep doubled the walking time. until got to 3-or 4 -30 min walks daily. I did that for several months. then it was time to go back to work. doing what ever had to be done. now my yard is my gym. feeding the chickens carrying them water. mowing the yard and trimming it with push and carry equipment... hauling sawdust, working in the garden... all are physically demanding for brief and varying spurts of time.

Take your time build your strength gradually. Do what feels right for you. If the gym feels like where you need to be go for it. but if not there are options. Sometimes we must search for what works for each individual.

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 12:39 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi Sweetpotato:

I am just starting to add muscle strengthening exercise to my routine. I'm not a fan of gyms, not only because of my weight and lack of strength and endurance, but especially because I'm pretty klutzy.

I really like what you said at the end of your post, "Do what you feel is right for you . . . Sometimes we must search for what works for each individual."

That's very astute and really applies to me.

Thanks!

---Joyce

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 12:30 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi Sunny:

I had to look up what "bingo wave" meant. Hilarious!

---Joyce

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Nanners0828
on 11/6/18 10:31 am
RNY on 04/25/18

I started about 2 months post op, but I do swimming for my exercise. I have tried treadmills and weights but I just get bored with them. I am now swimming 1 mile every other day and have been doing so for 3 plus months now as it took a while to get up to this distance. Listen to your body and see how you feel. You will know when it is time to begin the workout. I just visited with my surgeon last week and am 6 months post RNY. He is most satisfied with my progress and expects me to have lost 40% of my excess weight by this time which I have exceeded. He says "keep up with the swimming" which I absolutely intend to do. Good luck!

Sunny2018
on 11/6/18 10:44 am
RNY on 10/22/18

Thanks for response. Congrats on doing so well!! Yes, I do need to listen to my body- just did a 1/2 hr walk and a little tired out. Still find I need an afternoon nap- so glad my Dr approved 4-5 weeks off work, really lets me focus on myself when boys at school. I will aim for the New Year, maybe end of Feb when the new year resolution gym people have already stopped going and not so busy- lol, that was me pre surgery.

Sunny

Writergurl08
on 11/6/18 1:03 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I started weight training 3x a week as soon as I was off lifting restrictions, but nothing hardcore. I do resistance bands, and some weight machines. I'm not trying to deadlift a Chevy or anything, just trying to not be wimpy :P

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

SweetRide1
on 11/6/18 2:04 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I started 4 months post op.

I wanted to start earlier but I had a second surgery for a twisted bowel so I had to wait longer for things to heal up.

I started with walking and the elliptical and then got right into weights. Started off with light weights and then slowly built up.

I love going to the gym. It's me time.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Kathy S.
on 11/6/18 2:17 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I can't tell you why, but I didn't start working out until 6 months in. Maybe I wanted to make sure I was going to do it this time. I will share, once I did I was a gym rat as they say. LOVED IT! I ended up getting my body fat down to 10% preparing for my 3 plastic surgeries. Not knowing what to do I saved up and started out with a trainer. Once I got the basics down I was able to create my own workouts.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 520 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?