No longer able to tolerate protein drinks

Brienna J.
on 11/7/18 2:17 pm
RNY on 10/12/18

I am a little over 3wks post op and I was doing really good getting in my 2 protein drinks a day, but ever since I hit 3 wks I find they are really hard to drink. I'm not getting nauseous and have no symptoms of being sick when I drink them I just find that they are "heavy" when I do take a sip and it's making it really difficult to finish a full drink which is preventing me from getting my protein in daily. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Partlypollyanna
on 11/7/18 3:11 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Have you tried the protein waters? Blending the Shakes with water or ice to lighten them? Tried different shakes? Not sure about your program but mine allowed 8 oz of fairlife skim milk each day - it was a bit more protein than other milks, is that an option for you? Good luck working through it! Hitting your hydration and protein goals is very important as you heal!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

LuckyLoser
on 11/7/18 8:54 pm - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

I couldn't stand to look at or drink another shake post-op because of the 2-week pre-op diet. They also tasted "too sweet" after surgery.

I was allowed to use non-fat milk, mix in protein powder (about 20 g per scoop - Unjury), and add a little sugar-free Hershey's chocolate syrup. It gave me the approximate equivalent of a protein shake and I could tolerate it.

I still drink 1 or 2 of these glasses of milk a day because I'm still having problems eating solid proteins. They help me meet my daily fluid and protein goals.

---Joyce

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Amy Liz
on 11/7/18 7:11 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I barely made it to 4 weeks on shakes. They made me gag so bad I couldn't even swallow them in the end. The last week I was able to get through it by partially freezing them - especially the caramel PP - I could chug that half frozen. My center wanted us off shakes and eating food at 1 month anyway - not easy, but it's doable. I lived on yogurt and pureed beef chili w/cheese for a while.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 179 GW 175

Dcgirl
on 11/8/18 5:51 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Go online and find the brand Unjury protein powder. They have a chicken soup flavor! I loved it when I was so sick of thick sweet shakes. I used to heat up water with a little bullion - but not too hot or the protein powder will clump. Then whisk in the Unjury chicken soup powder.

Sugar free Torani syrups are good too. I used to blend up water and ice and chocolate protein powder and then mix in mint sugar free syrup which isn't very sweet. It was super refreshing.

My all-time favorite is Chike high protein iced coffee powder. Mix with water and ice. I got in on amazon and had it every day for 1.5 years for breakfast.

CJ On Orcas
on 11/9/18 9:03 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I think it is pretty common to dislike the sweet protein drinks after surgery... Unjury chicken broth protein powder is good. Syntrax has some good ones, I liked Fuzzy Navel. You can mix protein powder into plain greek yogurt. Protein waters are everywhere now, I like the PRotein2o waters, and specially lemonade and coconut.

NYMom222
on 11/9/18 3:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I hit a wall at 5 weeks where I was gagging everytime I went to drink a protein drin****pt on trying different ones- Costco, Vitamin Shoppe and GNC let you return open containers you don't like... Finally between unflavored in food and finding coffee flavored - Click and Fit Frappe it kept me going for awhile. Also Syntrax has flavors like ice tea and lemonade that mix in water.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 766 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 273 views