Hiatal hernia?

jenncatty
on 12/10/18 6:39 pm - Allentown, PA

Has anyone experienced horrible pain and diagnosed with the following after a cat scan and if.so, how was it treated?

"hiatal hernia containing the gastrojejunal anastomosis. This is the area where your stomach was connected to your bowel during your bypass surgery"

I have to be evaluated with an endoscopy nwxt.

momyshaver
on 12/12/18 2:58 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I am not a Dr but I know a hernia is a weakening in the muscle area. There are many areas that can herniate. For example, as an infant I had an umbilical hernia as did one of my children. I have a hiatal hernia but it is not big enough to worry about; however, it does cause some discomfort from time to time. I think you will get more information after your scope and then you can decide with your Dr what you need to do. I hope this helps. Some Drs take a wait and see approach but in some cases surgery is best.

MarinaGirl
on 12/12/18 6:37 am, edited 12/11/18 10:41 pm

I had a hiatal hernia repaired in July 2018 along with some other abdominal issues. My gastroenterologist/thoracic surgeon knew about it for a couple of years (from EGDs) but he minimized it; he said it was small and no big deal. I didn't feel much pain but had GERD symptoms. I finally had a second opinion with another surgeon (higher caliber) who did his own endoscopy EGD and determined it was larger than previously reported, and when he operated it was confirmed as bigger than ALL of the past imaging showed. My recovery has gone well and I'm glad I had it repaired.

Moral of the story is imaging may under report the severity of the issue so find the best GI surgeon with bariatric surgery experience that you can and address it sooner rather than later. Especially if you're experiencing considerable pain and/or GERD symptoms.

(Note that I never had a CAT scan as part of the diagnostic imaging.)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 198 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics