5 days post op bypass from sleeve revision. Need advice please

Kchic
on 12/26/18 12:49 pm
RNY on 12/21/18

I have been reading up and trying to mostly listen but I'm in need to some help and insight. I had the sleeve in 2012, no complications initially and I was extremely happy with the results I did start to get some mild heartburn a cpupme months out. They put me on omeprazole and all was good as long as I was careful and didn't eat too close to bed as it would come right back up. The heartburn got worse and in 2015 I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I had it repaired and it did seem to help my heartburn a little. EDG showed gastritis etc. Early this year I had an episode of extreme chest pain in the middle of the night and had an EDG showed inflammation in my duodenum but not much else. The pain was radiating to my middle back as well. Upped my meds, put me on more meds. Had a 24hr PH study which showed I was reducing a lot, 237 episodes in 24 hours. Was told only option bypass. Went forward with bypass on the 21st. Dr. Chae in Denver is my surgeon and seems to be well known and respected. He said their were two issues....first, I had a hernia (another) and a pretty large one, he said my stomach was protruding through my diaphram. He also said my stomach had a kink in it and that is where he made the cut. He did say the hernia may come back. I was pretty out of it and just wanted to go home and rest. Been drinking premier protein shakes and getting in my fluids. Last night, Christmas of course, I started to get pain in my upper left side. It was wrapping around my rib cage perhaps just at or under a bra line and radiating to my back. It hurt really bad. Got to the point that I took some pain meds and went to lay down. I couldn't not even lay on that side until the pain subsided. I thought about calling my surgeon but am seeing him Friday morning and really did not want to call on Christmas but it was excruciating until it went away.....perhaps got better with pain meds then went away an hour or two later. I don't know if it is the hernia that is back already (don't know how after just 5 days) or something being pushed into my diaphram. I dont know if it was maybe some gas (here's hoping) but I'm terrified. I have been reading sad stories all day about hernias and bowel obstructions and it seems this is my life now. I feel really depressed and just start crying randomly knowing I did this to myself. I am 35, no kids, great boyfriend but he doesn't understand. I just never even knew of all of the complications and it seems like they will never stop. I will speak to my doctor and I know you may only be able to provide your experiences/opinions but I am really low here and need a friend. Please. I'm scared. Any thoughts? Am I destined for a life of surgeries. Am I now prone to internal hernias and possible twisting? Thank you if you read my post, it means a lot.

-Kelli

Partlypollyanna
on 12/26/18 1:36 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I would recommend you not wait to speak to your medical team if you're concerned that it's more than just the recovery/gas pains.

You've just had major surgery, are dealing with recovery and the lingering effects of anesthesia/pain meds. All of that will make you emotional so adding horror stories on top of it doesn't seem wise, I would stop searching those out, take to your medical team and focus on walking, walking, walking, sipping, sipping, sipping.

Hope your day gets better!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Emiepie
on 12/26/18 2:07 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I think a call to your surgical team is your best bet. They can hopefully get some info from you over the phone or possibly move your appt earlier. I am not familiar with the pain you describe but I did have some intense gas pains (from the air) that only seemed to get better the more I walked. Please take good care of yourself and do your best to walk when you can and of course SIP SIP SIP. I hope that you feel better soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics