Finally an answer.

mirandaF
on 12/29/18 6:56 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I finally got exploratory surgery after unable to eat and barely drink for 1 1/2 months. I was to the point I was passing out and barely able to function. Fast forward a bit I was sent back to the hospital where my original surgeon performed my RNY and was there for almost 1 week. They poked, prodded, barium swallow (nastiest thing in the world BTW) MRI's CT with/without contrast and still nothing showed up. So I finally got the exploratory surgery. Come to find out I had an internal hiatal hernia that only showed up when they went exploring. It was a tricky little bugger.

I asked to go home early because my anxiety was getting a bit out of hand being gone for so long from my family. That and the fact that for some reason, dilauded and morphine were both giving me major issues that I'm still suffering from. It started out with the dilauded giving me the most intense headache I've ever had in my life. They then decide to switch me to a morphine pump. Well I was ok, but then I started unable to pee on my own. It was like my bladder was either confused or just did not want to react properly. (sorry for the TMI) But it was effecting both ends. Neither was wanting to let me just sit and go. Instead it was more like, sit... think and work really hard and hope they empty. What got my anxiety up was when I could not pee when I would want to. The flat out refused to straight cath me.

I understand they don't want someone to get a UTI, but I was stressed out, and the would only increase it by making me walk and walk and walk. I understand now that walking was the best option, but at the time I felt like I was being ignored and after awhile, was more a bother than a patient. So when I seen my surgeon I told him I wanted to go home after 5 days and I was able to hold food/water down.

He was kind and courteous and I think he could see my anxiety was getting the better of me, and even though my blood work was not coming back very positive he still let me go because it wasn't in danger levels. Anyway I finally had an answer for being unable to eat and barely able to drink. Apparently I'm extremely sensitive and my stomach has to sit just right or it will not let me eat/drink right.

Now I get to follow up with my regular doctor and figure out the new issue. Nothing do do with my RNY but still at least I can eat and drink again. I would gladly get this surgery again though. Thanks to RNY I have reached 177. And while I gained up to 187 while in the hospital between the 22nd and today I am back to 177 again. Now to reach my goal and continue onward. :)

Maddymoe2
on 12/30/18 5:22 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I am glad they were about to figure out what was wrong.

NYMom222
on 12/30/18 12:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad you are on the other side of one problem anyway. Very frustrating when they don't know what is wrong.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Emiepie
on 12/31/18 6:39 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I am very glad to see an update from you and now hopefully you have a quick recovery and feel better soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 220 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?