100 lbs down! And question about sweets.

LindyLin
on 1/1/19 12:13 pm

Officially 100 lbs lost! Insane. Feels like it has flown by.

I have noticed that I am able to eat a small bit of sweets, like one small piece of chocolate for example, every once in a while without issue. If I have too much, I do not dump but I do get a queasy feeling and very tired, and usually fall asleep for a few hours.

Is this a slippery slope? I know no one can answer that question for me, but I'm hoping for advice based on others' experiences. In a way, having no sweets at all (or only sugar substitute desserts) was easy because the boundaries were so clear cut. But it has been nice to be able to take part in "normal" sweets again, even if it's a small bite here and there. Just wondered if anyone has thoughts on this issue.

Here's hoping we all have a healthy and strong 2019!

HW: 286

SW: 264

CW: 163

RNY on 7/10/18 with Dr. K. Vaziri, Washington DC

Extended TT, Breast Lift, and Lipo with Fat Transfer to Buttocks on 7/24/19 with Dr. Joseph Michaels

Lower face and neck lift, 7/27/20, Dr. Henry Sandel

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/1/19 1:20 pm

Based on my personal experience - what you are doing is a very slippery slope. You are asking for trouble.

Not sure what is your personal weight - size, but if you are not there yet, eating sweets can only cause trouble long term.

If you eat enough to get queasy - followed by a carb coma, you really pushing boundaries. If you continue doing that, not only you would slow down or stop weight loss (if you still want to lose more) but you may stsrs regaining.

Eating sweets can also get your body used to them. I personally know enough people post op RNY who lost all sensitivity to sugars, even though they initially felt uncomfortable after eating sweets.

The WLS is a tool. To lose weight and MAINTAIN you need to use it properly. That means avoiding sweets or any old triggers, like sweets.

You are playing with fire.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LindyLin
on 1/1/19 2:15 pm

Thank you- you're very right. Time to get strict again!!

HW: 286

SW: 264

CW: 163

RNY on 7/10/18 with Dr. K. Vaziri, Washington DC

Extended TT, Breast Lift, and Lipo with Fat Transfer to Buttocks on 7/24/19 with Dr. Joseph Michaels

Lower face and neck lift, 7/27/20, Dr. Henry Sandel

dreamer1234
on 1/2/19 5:26 pm

I totally agree with you. I am 3 1/2 months post op and have lost 100 lbs. A week before my surgery i went thru my house and got rid of anything that had sugar or fat in it. if i don't have it around i will not eat it. it has to be low in calories and high in nutrients or i won't eat it. you gotta stay away from the sugar, that is a big key.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/3/19 9:16 am

After a while, when you are ready, you may chose to introduce more fat in your diet.

Fat is not the enemy, Carbs are for me. But not all carbs. But eating carbs stimulates my body to release insulin, and insulin may cause BS fluctuation, hunger and craving.

The dilemma with normal maintenance diet, is that I can have it low in carbs, or low in fat. But I can't really have it low carbs and low fat. I have to chose one or the other. Too much proteins on maintenance can be an issue, because our body releases insulin to process proteins. Check food insulin index.

My diet in maintenance is moderate to high on proteins, low on carbs and moderate to high on fat. I still chose "better fat" like avocado, olives, nuts, etc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 1/1/19 1:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Definitely a slippery slope. I've always been able to tolerate sweets more than I had hoped. And like you, I get mildly queasy. But you're still early out, you will build a tolerance and that mild queasy will disappear one day.

its not realistic to say you'll never have another sweet again, (and if you can kudos!!) but I'd encourage for them to find you (vs. you baking/buying some quantity) at few and far between occasions. Don't seek them them out. And be highly selective. If you will indulge in a sweet make it the fine champagne of sweets. How often do we treat ourselves to those high-end things... rarely.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

seattledeb
on 1/1/19 9:19 pm

First 4 years out I would have one Godiva open oyster. I bought no other candy.

Now I have and can easily comsume any candy.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/19 3:05 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I don't have any answers about weight loss or maintenance, but I do know that when I got to my goal weight I let myself have the occasional sweet. I thought I was being reasonable and I was still eating many fewer grams of carbs than everyone around me. I very quickly regained 15 pounds.

PrivateCitizen
on 1/10/19 2:02 pm

hi, can you explain these numbers? thanks

Pre-op 14 M1 23 M2 11 M3 13 M4 + M5 17 M6 9 Goal M7 5 M8 3 M9 3 M10-12 3

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/19 6:18 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

The numbers are how much weight I lost per month in pounds. In the two weeks leading up to surgery I did a liquid diet and lost 14 pounds. In the first month after surgery I lost 23 pounds. Between months 10 through 12 I lost 3 pounds. I stopped tracking my weight by month at that point.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics