Adderall after RNY surgery

tam.daelynn
on 1/5/19 10:17 am

Hi all. I take 30 mg of adderall 2x a day (instant release). It worked great before my surgery but now it has almost like I didn't take it. I even tried to take 45 mg once and it helped only a small amount. When the med does work, it lasts maybe 2 hours. I have ADD pretty bad and require a significant amount of focus for my job (social work). I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and the med worked great until then.

anyone else take adderall? If so, similar issues or have done anything to make it more effective?

thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/6/19 2:40 pm

I don't have experience with Adderal but you may be dealing with other issues.

Because of RNY - our absorbtion can be affected. When I take some meds, I know they get better absorbed if I take them without food, but just with water, or green tea.

Also, during a very fast weigh loss our body released a lot of hormons, some that were hold in our fat cells, or hormones that are released following a very serious surgery.

It may the hormons that interfere with the Adderall.

I hope it gets better for you. I would not hesitate and call the doc who prescribed them for you.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Haley_Martinez
on 1/6/19 3:47 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

I would suggest calling your doctor. It could be that you aren't absorbing your medication like before like H.A.L.A.B said. I know that post-surgery birth control in pill form is not recommended because we cannot absorb the pills completely and therefor it is no longer an effective form of birth control.

25 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - CW: 132.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/7/19 1:51 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have never taken Adderall, however, it you have the immediate release formula, the absorption depends upon the pH of your gut. Basic pH increases its absorption through the lipid-rich cell membranes -- RNY causes malabsorption of lipids (fats) and we have very little acid in our stomachs (why we have to use citrate calcium, etc). Acidic pH changes the drug in its water soluble cationic (salt) form.

Additionally, this drug is metabolized in the liver which is already very taxed while we are losing large amounts of weight.

You may need to break your capsules open to increase absorption, titrate your dosage to find you new effective dose (with your doctor's help, of course), or consider a pro-drug form such as Vyvanse (which is very very similar but processes in the intestines because it's bonded with lysine.) --

I hope this helps put you on a track to find what works for you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jadecharm
on 1/11/19 6:54 pm
RNY on 01/14/19

Hi I have not had my RNY yet I am scheduled for Jan 14 2019. I have tried Metadate 30 and 40 mg for ADD. It is similar to Adderall ... it usually only lasted 2.5 hours... I eventually was switched to Focalin long XR 30 mg and it lasts almost 12 hours. It may be that you are building a tolerance to the meds and it may have nothing to do with the RNY ... I have experienced building tolerance as well in the past.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Calorie intake
vpstang · 10 replies · 136 views
What's on your Tuesday menu RNYers?
karenp8 · 39 replies · 485 views