6 years and change...

thechief94
on 1/15/19 12:16 pm - NC

Six years and a month out of the scalpel. Current weight of 180, and happy with it. Wife originally thought it amusing that I am STILL "planning" my meals, but it's about CONTROL of my life. The past year and some months have been very hard - multiple deaths in the family, my own remaining family "disowning" me (as if I really care), medical issues not related to the RNY. "Sneaking" a snack now and then would lead to a downwards spiral into unhealthy habits, which I DON'T need. Firmly in control now, and have several of my obese friends asking for advice concerning THEIR weight, and what I did to lose 175+ pounds. At every turn, I tell them I do NOT recommend it, that contrary to common belief this was NOT the "easy way", and the effects will be with them for LIFE (reverse psychology?). I still have these same people wanting help, so I refer them to this web site and recommend highly-rated bariatric surgical clinics to call for scheduling a seminar to learn just WHAT they may be getting into!

Irishteacher
on 1/15/19 2:21 pm

Well done, Chief, on sustaining your loss and staying on track. You must have great resolve! Sorry to hear about the breakdown in familial relationships and your recent bereavements. Look after your wellbeing and be kind to yourself.

Cris1976
on 1/15/19 5:46 pm

Why do you dont recomend bypass RNY for your friends?

Thanks

thechief94
on 1/16/19 5:03 am - NC

Cris, it is actually some minor "reverse psychology" on my part. I want to get across that RNY is NOT easy - it takes commitment from Day 1 to be successful with it. It is not that I am trying to discourage them - I am very open about what I went through to be somewhat successful with my procedure. It is a kind of "check and balance" - this is NOT the "easy way" - are you REALLY committed to losing the excess weight, and are you willing to follow "the rules" for the rest of your life? Or are you looking for a quick fix, with no real effort on your part?

Hence, after the "discouraging word", the referral to the bariatric center that performed my procedure to attend a seminar. In a way, it is full circle, as the Head Nurse when I went to their seminar seemed very cold and aloof - until she saw that I WAS committed whole-heartedly to a life-changing event. Once she saw that, she became one of my strongest advocate. I understand now that her aloofness at our first meeting was an act - they want COMMITTED people, not those looking for an easy out.

Over the last six years have had three of my friends decide to take the plunge. Two are on track, one wandered away. The two that are still maintaining thanked me for the abrupt "YOU DON'T WANNA DO THIS!" as it made them stop for a moment and THINK about what they were getting into.

Hence, my "recommendation" against having the procedure (although I would REALLY like several more of my friends to enjoy a better quality of life on the "other side"!).

Lucile777
on 1/16/19 7:38 pm

I wouldn't recommend it either. Although I'm down 120 lbs, it's still a struggle and am reminded physically everyday that I no longer have my digestive system in tact. I wish I had gotten control of my life a long time ago and never needed this surgery. I do have regrets. I like that I'm skinner, but that's about it. I HATE my pouch and wish I had my stomach back. I guess I have to learn not to cry over spilled milk. haha.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Kathy S.
on 1/16/19 7:15 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your long term success and thank you for sharing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?