Are there foods you can no longer (permanently) eat after surgery?

catwoman7
on 2/6/19 7:54 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I can eat anything as well, but if I eat too many fried foods or sugary things at one sitting, I feel nauseated. One fried thing works. A cookie works. But if I ate a completely fried meal (e.g., fried fish or fried chicken +french fries) or binged on cake, I'd feel like crap.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

tsulli24
on 2/6/19 7:53 pm

Thanks so much!

Amy R.
on 2/6/19 10:06 am, edited 2/6/19 2:07 am

At ten years out there is nothing at all that I can't eat. There are many things I shouldn't eat, but nothing at all is off limits. And although I can eat everything, I can't eat large portions.

FWIW I'd be careful to actually label anything as "permanent". My reactions to some foods is much more severe than it was even a year ago. I still dump - which I had hoped would end at around five years but no - and I also now have significant blood sugar drops due to Reactive Hypoglycemia. There are foods that made me very sick early out that I now eat regularly because for some reason they are now just fine.

These food questions are so individual and so hard to answer. In reality you'll have to find out what works for you through trial and error. Your results may be completely different that 99% of yours friends who go through WLS, but don't doubt them. Different results for different bodies is the norm.

Good luck. You've got a whole lot of "research" ahead of you. But you'll be fine.

Edited to add: in some cases there are foods that cannot be eaten and it actually is a permanent thing. Some postops have health conditions that restrict their diets and in those cases you've got to be very vigilant in following your doctors instructions.

tsulli24
on 2/6/19 7:56 pm

Thanks so much!

Librarian67
on 2/6/19 10:20 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I am almost 2 years post-RNY and the one thing that I've found is that every body is different in what it tolerates and that can even change at any given time for one person. For instance, I don't have dumping from small portions of sugary foods (not that they are healthy for me to eat of course) but sugar alcohols and many other sugar substitutes make me violently ill. I've found that alot of sugar-free products make me more sick than a small portion of regular sweets eaten occasionally.

In addition to SAs and other sugar substitutes, rice, pasta and breads with yeast make me violently ill even though I don't "dump". Potatoes are hit or miss, so I occasionally eat 4-5 of my wife's fries and then may need to take a Gas-X.

As others have said, sometimes moderate portions of fatty or fried foods are okay, but at other times, I end up getting gassy and getting the trots.

When I was in the losing phase, I was very strict and vigilant about eating almost all of my calories from dense lean protein with a few non-starchy veg. Since I've been in maintenance, I do eat 2 small portions of fruit and about a 1/4 cup of nuts a day and more veg. Sometimes I will have off-plan meals or days, but my stomach will quickly remind me that it isn't the best option and when I get back to dense protein & veg, I feel much better.

If you are still trying to lose, I'd really encourage you to stick to high lean protein and very low carb. When you hit your goal, you can see what you are able to tolerate but it's a slippery slope on which many post-ops find that re-gain happens!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

tsulli24
on 2/6/19 8:06 pm

Thanks so much for the honesty and descriptiveness. It is very helpful.

Erin T.
on 2/7/19 5:59 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I think most people find at least a mild intolerance for a couple of foods. For me, chili feels like gravel going down. I still eat it, but it's not super comfortable.

But, now that I'm in maintenance I literally eat everything under the sun, really only avoiding those foods that are a hard no for my diabetes and even some of those I'll have just a bite or two of.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Candrews1
on 2/7/19 7:27 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Ice Cream is a big one for me....Its very rare I get any..major dumping syndrome

Another odd one for me is anything with red sauce (ie spaghetti, lasagna, etc). I think the acid in the sauce doesn't sit well with me at all.

Besides that, I'm good on everything else..

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

Amy R.
on 2/7/19 11:03 am

Just a note on the sauces. One of my worst dumping episodes was on a bowl of tomato soup. Turns out tomatoes can be very high in sugar. Who knew?

You can probably check out the sugar grams in a serving of whatever sauce you intend to eat and have a pretty good idea of what to stay away from.

Kathy S.
on 2/7/19 9:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

After 14 years sadly I can eat anything carb or sugar but nothing greasy or fried.....

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 189 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?