GERD?

MadisonRose
on 3/3/19 10:44 am
RNY on 01/23/19

So I always had GERD really bad before surgery. I'd wake up in the middle of the night choking on stomach acid. It was horrible. This was one of my big reasons for having the rny over the sleeve.

Now it's like it's coming back full force. My chest and throat just burn, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. My doctor gave me omeprazole, but it doesn't really help much. Before surgery I was on another medication for it that worked much better, but unfortunately I had to stop taking it because my insurance no longer covered it and it was just too expensive.

Will this eventually go away? I'm not really eating much aside from soups/broths because I've been so nauseated. So not sure what is causing this nasty GERD. Anyone else suffering from this?

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/3/19 11:48 am

It may be caused b something you are allergic to.

I have severe gets and we can't find out why. I am on strong Rx Dexilant. Am trying to get off them, but so far it is not working.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MadisonRose
on 3/4/19 2:04 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 3, 2019 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

It may be caused b something you are allergic to.

I have severe gets and we can't find out why. I am on strong Rx Dexilant. Am trying to get off them, but so far it is not working.

Thanks for the insight! Dexilant was what I was taking too. It worked wonders for me! Never had to worry about GERD ever again. But now it's way too expensive with my insurance so unfortunately I've had to give it up. Never have found a medication that works just as good for me.

stacyrg
on 3/5/19 9:53 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Try taking a double dose of over the counter Prevacid. I had VSG and ended up with horrible GERD which required me to convert to RNY. I still have GERD. I also have a gene mutation that affects my absorption of Omeprazole so it doesn't work for me. Like you, dexilant was the only thing that gave me any relief but it's not covered by my insurance. My GI doctor told me that Prevacid was the precursor to Dexilant, so I should be able to absorb it. It doesn't work as well as the dexilant but provides me some relief.

ScaleSkater
on 3/5/19 10:41 am, edited 3/5/19 2:42 am

Dexilant works because the dose is more optimized than Prevacid/Lansoprazole. I've seen the studies - 30 to 45mg is the best dose range for Prevacid. When Prevacid was prescribed vs. OTC the major strength was 30 mg (85% of all prescriptions dispensed). Agree double dose of Lanso might work more like Dexa. vs. OTC strength.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

MadisonRose
on 3/5/19 7:23 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, stacyrg wrote:

Try taking a double dose of over the counter Prevacid. I had VSG and ended up with horrible GERD which required me to convert to RNY. I still have GERD. I also have a gene mutation that affects my absorption of Omeprazole so it doesn't work for me. Like you, dexilant was the only thing that gave me any relief but it's not covered by my insurance. My GI doctor told me that Prevacid was the precursor to Dexilant, so I should be able to absorb it. It doesn't work as well as the dexilant but provides me some relief.

Thanks for the tip! I'll most definitely be trying that!

NYMom222
on 3/5/19 6:50 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Most surgeons put you on an acid reducer for about 3 months after surgery whether you have GERD or not.

So it may still disappear

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views