HELP!!!! Can't seem to get going....

Nanners0828
on 3/5/19 10:06 am
RNY on 04/25/18

Pouch shrink isn't the answer. Lower intake is - paired with exercise. We all have our demons when it comes to food and we didn't get to be obese by doing the right thing. I swim 1 mile every other day and hate doing it. I want to sit on my rear and play video games, but I can't do that and expect to make progress. In my opinion, it is time to weigh what is more important to you....regain or discipline. Support groups are great, but they can't talk you off the ledge when you are putting something into your mouth that you shouldn't eat. Only you can own that piece. Decision point for sure.

kairosgrammy
on 3/5/19 11:23 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 4, 2019 at 7:32 PM Pacific Time, Angela R. wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been flip flopping every year on my weight. Over the past year and half I put on 56lbs. I didn't do all this to gain everything back. I'm still 89lbs down. I need lots of support and have NO support groups close to home. I have been told I should do a pouch shrink, keto diet and then a regular diet. What are your thoughts?

All that is unnecessary. Get out your "Bariatric Bible" (as I called it), the book that out outlined everything you needed to know about your diet and follow it at the solid food stage. The basics. Higher protein, lower carb. Shop the outside of the store and eat "good for you" foods, chicken, eggs (one), low or no fat yogurt, lots of steamed veggies (you'll never get fat eating veggies as long as you are loading it with cheese, sour cream, etc) and a little fruit. Beware of sugar. It is your enemy!!! Sugar wants to make you fatter. If you are going to eat carbs, avoid bread and pasta, eat complex carbs that take longer to digest and won't spike your blood sugar.

Drink lots of water, lots and lots of water. Then, drink some more water.

Exercise. Walking is great and highly recommended but do strength training. Muscles determine your metabolism.

Track what you eat. Every little bite. I've heard BLT which stands for bites, licks and tastes. Track it all. Sometimes you don't realize what you've eaten until you look back. Call your bariatric dept nutritionist or contact one that is familiar with bariatric surgery. Having a written record will help the nutritionist if you choose to consult one.

Meal plan and meal prep and follow it. Weigh and measure your food. Are you full and do you keep eating anyway?

All of the above are standard protocol for any WLS patient, VSG, RNY, DS or revision. If you aren't doing the above, you will not lose your regain and you will probably continue to regain. Not trying to be mean or anything but I do think we all need a little truth at times. I'm sure the farther down the road I get, I'll need to hear it myself. We are never safe from regain, we are always subject to our food addictions etc and we will always need to be mindful of what we eat. It can be wearing at times but ask yourself, "Do you want to go back to where you were?" Because that happens and the yoyo continues.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views