Question/thought/curiosity

NYMom222
on 3/7/19 7:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Even at almost 5 years out I can still only eat 3-4oz dense protein.... volume of a meal 8-12oz. Most meals. Not hard and fast rule though as there are so many variables. Are there 'big pouch days' when I can have more? Absolutely. Depends on the food too. I eat a lot of cooked spinach, easy to throw in the pan and fast but basically a slider veggie, very easy to eat.

I also eat 6 times a day. Some days I feel like all I do is eat. I get 140g of protein a day. Eat at least 3 servings veggies and 0-3 servings fruit. WLS servings- some days smaller portions some days larger. Most days at least 2 fruits. I buy the smallest apples in the bag that normal people don't like to buy because they are so small. Our hunger is never going to be exactly the same everyday...

At this point I only worry about 'protein first' if I am concerned about getting enough in for the day. Does not mean I forget about it. If I make something like a stir fry and the meat is mixed in... if I can tell I am starting to get full I stop eating the veggies and pick the meat out. For me my three vegetables a day are as important as my protein and water. That's much easier to say further out when you can eat more. Early on meat and a few bites of veg occasionally were about it.

Maintenance is not for sissies and there is a learning curve. Weight loss phase is pretty standard issue- pretty much the same for everyone...I see huge variations in what people do to make maintenance work. Protein and water are the constants.

Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kairosgrammy
on 3/8/19 5:38 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 8, 2019 at 3:19 AM Pacific Time, NYMom222 wrote:

Even at almost 5 years out I can still only eat 3-4oz dense protein.... volume of a meal 8-12oz. Most meals. Not hard and fast rule though as there are so many variables. Are there 'big pouch days' when I can have more? Absolutely. Depends on the food too. I eat a lot of cooked spinach, easy to throw in the pan and fast but basically a slider veggie, very easy to eat.

I also eat 6 times a day. Some days I feel like all I do is eat. I get 140g of protein a day. Eat at least 3 servings veggies and 0-3 servings fruit. WLS servings- some days smaller portions some days larger. Most days at least 2 fruits. I buy the smallest apples in the bag that normal people don't like to buy because they are so small. Our hunger is never going to be exactly the same everyday...

At this point I only worry about 'protein first' if I am concerned about getting enough in for the day. Does not mean I forget about it. If I make something like a stir fry and the meat is mixed in... if I can tell I am starting to get full I stop eating the veggies and pick the meat out. For me my three vegetables a day are as important as my protein and water. That's much easier to say further out when you can eat more. Early on meat and a few bites of veg occasionally were about it.

Maintenance is not for sissies and there is a learning curve. Weight loss phase is pretty standard issue- pretty much the same for everyone...I see huge variations in what people do to make maintenance work. Protein and water are the constants.

Good Luck

I can't imagine eating 8 to 12 oz in a sitting. I am hitting about 6, sometimes and a max of 3 oz of meat but usually, 2 to 3. That's why I make sure the vast majority of my snacks are also high in protein and so I average about 130g of protein a day. I guess I need to love my veggies less and I usually stay fairly low on carbs and make sure they are always low glycemic carbs. I love quinoa and farro because they are complex carbs that also have a good portion of protein which of course, adds protein and are filling, also and digest slowly.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Partlypollyanna
on 3/8/19 6:09 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Well, that seems a bit judge-y and rude response.

NYMom has been incredibly successful and is here day in/day out helping to support the rest of the community and I'm very appreciative of the time she takes to give such a measure detailed response of what has been successful for her.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

kairosgrammy
on 3/8/19 10:45 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 8, 2019 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, Partlypollyanna wrote:

Well, that seems a bit judge-y and rude response.

NYMom has been incredibly successful and is here day in/day out helping to support the rest of the community and I'm very appreciative of the time she takes to give such a measure detailed response of what has been successful for her.

???

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/7/19 7:46 pm

I don't think it is a big deal to only eat one thing for a meal. I think it is fine to eat a chicken thigh and be done.

We need surprisingly little food to stay alive. I think trying for a balanced diet like a non op is a recipe for regain and carb creep.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

NHPOD9
on 3/8/19 6:43 am

Ahh, the good old days, when I was early out and thought I had all the answers. And thinking that every meal had to be some perfect ratio of protein, carbs, and fat. A chicken thigh is what I had for dinner last night.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

seattledeb
on 3/12/19 3:52 am

I love a chicken thigh dinner.

NHPOD9
on 3/12/19 4:03 am

Gimme all the dark meat please.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/19 5:30 am
RNY on 10/09/18

Yummm, delicious. Nothing wrong if a veg accidentally goes down once in a while...

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/12/19 5:27 pm

How about pork shanks? An Irish pub near us have that on a menu. I usually get 3, eat 1.5 or 2 if I am really hungry, and the rest home. so good. Ugh , now I want that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views