How to handle being away from the gym?

Teenie
on 3/11/19 4:18 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I am a month out from having a hugh hernia repair. It was a 9" tear in an old surgical incision in my belly and they repaired it with no mesh then they did lots of skin removal . In 2 areas I had some infection so I have 2 wounds I am healing right now and the good news is I was released today to go back to work.

With that I feel guilt and miss the gym. I know I won't be able to go back for a couple months How do I get that guilty feeling to go away? I also feel like by resting like the doctors say I'm going backwards and loosing muscle mass. Has anyone else had surgery's and had to take a break? How long were you out of the gym? How long did it take to get back to the fitness level you were at pre surgery. I'm freaking out but am following the doctors orders to a T.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/11/19 5:14 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I have not had that particular issue as I can skip the gym with very little guilt, lol.

It's good that you are following your surgeon's instructions and you seem to know that will help you in the long run! While you're healing (and try to think of it as healing, not resting, because your body is still working to heal) stay on track for your protein, it helps with healing and may help with the muscle mass you're concerned about. Also, ask if there are any lower impact exercises you can do -- maybe something like chair yoga or for some light stretching? It might not feel like a workout but should still keep you moving and better than nothing!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Teenie
on 3/12/19 10:25 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Thanks that helps. I have been keeping up on protein and counting the next appointment I'll ask about low impact for now I'm restricted to 5lbs

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/19 5:51 pm
RNY on 10/09/18
seattledeb
on 3/12/19 4:00 am

Let your body heal. Eat your protein. Ask the doc when walking is allowed. Brisk walking is cardio.

You will be a gym rat again.

Daisydoo02
on 3/12/19 6:13 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Glad you are home and resting & healing, that sounds like a huge ordeal, a 9" tear? That's scary!

I had my gallbladder & a hernia repaired in Nov 2017. I am a hard core gym rat so I completely get how you are feeling right now. The surgeon that did my RNY also did the GB & hernia repair, he was very adamant that I could not go back to the gym before I was healed and he cleared me to go back. I do a lot of cardio and a lot of weight lifting. I remember I was almost in tears one evening I "felt" good enough to go back to the gym, (it would have been too early) and my husband brought me down off the exercise ledge so to speak saying to me, if you go back to the gym now and do damage to your incisions etc then not only does that set you back in your healing time who knows what internal damage you might do and how that might affect you down the road. It was hard to hear because I swear my body craved the gym but I am so glad I stuck it out and didn't go back early.

I was out for 8 weeks. Once I went back to the gym I didn't go back full tilt, I went back slowly over a month. A bit more each week I added back into my routine to see how my body felt/reacted. After being back a full month at the gym which would be 3 months post op I was back to my full gym routine.

I was allowed to walk, my husband would take the dogs and hold the leashes while I slowly & carefully walked alongside him. It was something and something is better than nothing. I felt I didn't work this hard to get to goal and get this fit to throw that all away by going back to the gym too early. It was mentally more tough than it was physically. Even if you do lose some muscle mass (not saying you will, you might surprise yourself) then that's okay, you know what it takes to get the muscles back so you can do it when you are cleared again.

Thank you for listening to your Docs to a T, in the long run your body will thank you.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Teenie
on 3/12/19 10:30 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

That helps a lot slow and steady it shall be

Kathy S.
on 3/12/19 8:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Teenie,

Congrats for making working out part of your new life style and staying healthy.

I feel your pain... After hitting goal I was facing several plastic surgeries. I had been working out like a body builder before the surgeries. When speaking with the plastic surgeon I told him I was addicted and didn't know how to stay away. He cautioned me SERIOUSLY that if I didn't follow his instructions not only could I undo his work but put my health in jeopardy.

It was hard but I listened and did what he said every step of the way. Your surgery and recovery time will be over before you know it. When you do go back be sure and do what the surgeon says about how much how soon..... It was hard but I had to start out by walking and swimming. Good luck and keep us posted.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Teenie
on 3/12/19 10:31 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Will do

PrivateCitizen
on 3/13/19 1:14 pm, edited 3/14/19 3:47 am

I am encouraged you did well.

Am surprised they used no mesh, did they say why? do you know what they did to replace facia domain to keep intestines in place? Maybe you had enough ab muscles for your gym work to support the fascia?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 474 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 392 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics