Modified keto

turner3670
on 3/20/19 11:06 am

Hi everyone has anyone tried a modified keto for regain or what are some of the things that you have tried that has helped thanks

The Salty Hag
on 3/20/19 1:03 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I had a 20 lb regain to lose. I really just went back to basics, but my fat intake was (still is ) higher than what some people here eat, so I call how I ate, and still eat, "ketoish"-as it's lower fat than true keto.

I ate dense protein first-limiting my portion to 4 ounces by weight, and kept my carbs super low-30 or under per day. I kept my calories to 1100 max while I was losing my regain. I avoided fruit ( still do as it makes me dump ) and only ate non starchy veggies. I still used full fat dairy for cooking, but did stop eating so much cheese while I lost my regain. I added it back in when I hit the weight I wanted to be.

Hope this helps!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

turner3670
on 3/20/19 3:59 pm

Thanks great! Where would I find the post op diet it's been 19 years I honestly don't remember thanks

The Salty Hag
on 3/20/19 8:22 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I don't know where to find an actual menu, but the basics per my surgeon's office was 3-4 ounces by weight of dense, lean protein eaten first, then 1-2 ounces of non-starchy veggies if you "have room". (If I eat dense protein first, I rarely have room for veggies.) Starches are technically allowed on my plan in very small amounts, 1/4 cup, I think...only after protein and veggies are eaten.

Some examples of dense, lean protein: shrimp, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, tuna, turkey breast...then there are not quite so lean, but still ideal proteins: steak, chicken thighs and drumsticks, bacon, sausage, hard cheeses. Eggs aren't necessarily "dense", but they're a good source of protein and fat.

Other sources of protein that are "snacky" food for me are almonds, cashews, peanuts, pork rinds or cracklin's, and the very occasional protein bar. A lot of people here like jerky. Ive never been a fan, but it's a good source of protein and is a good snack to keep on hand.

Non starchy veggies include: broccoli, zucchini, green beans, brussel sprouts, spinach, other salad greens, mushrooms, cauliflower...and I'm blanking on others...lol. I only eat zucchini, mushrooms, small amounts of yellow onion, and sometimes yellow squash. Salads are a rare occurrence for me. I'd rather just have the shredded cheese, bacon bits, and dressing!

Some mornings, I have Greek yogurt for breakfast a few hours after my morning cups of coffee. I usually don't get hungry for solid food until 1 or 2 PM.

I drink water, tea and coffee with sucralose/Splenda,and a few varieties of diet soda. I avoid sugary drinks, and sugar in general.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

turner3670
on 3/21/19 2:41 pm

Yes! Thank you so much

turner3670
on 3/22/19 3:46 pm

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting calories up to that without going over carbs and protein especially

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/20/19 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm working on regain, and returning to my post-op diet (protein-forward, low carb) in conjunction with intermittent fasting has been very helpful. I log everything I eat on MyFitnessPal and the accountability has been very helpful!

Here's a good guide to IF:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-interm ittent-fasting/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lynnc99
on 3/20/19 3:24 pm

I've read up on keto and see the endorsements for intermittent fasting. How does your blood sugar hold up to IF post WLS?

I too have "dabbled" with keto but the bottom line for me was that I dropped off refined sugar and almost all carbs, which took me very close to my post op diet just as you describe. I never nudged my fats up to a full keto level. The discipline is good, though!

As I followed a few keto pages on FB, I saw a lot lot lot of endorsements of crash dieting, binging before beginning, etc. - and it resonated with me because pre WLS that's right where I was.

Anyway....I have not been able to move my scale much at all but am certainly eating far better than I was a month or two ago!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/20/19 3:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've never had blood sugar issues, even before WLS, so it's worked just fine for me. I definitely understand that it wouldn't work for someone with any sort of blood sugar problems, so it's definitely the sort of thing you should only try if you know your body will be OK with it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

turner3670
on 3/20/19 4:05 pm

I never had those issues either I even had the bariatric Dr who tried me on metformin he said it showed to help with weight loss even in people who didn't suffer from blood sugar issues but it didn't work ughhhh thanks

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404