Question about weight?

Laura in Texas
on 3/21/19 7:10 pm

I used the OH Post-Op Planner and it was spot on for my weight loss. My highest weight was 339. I was 311 when I had my RNY and got down to 140 by the 14 month mark.

Most people lose about 50% of their excess weight by the six month mark.

I will say, those of us who have 200 pounds to lose have to be extremely vigilant to lose the weight and keep it off.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MadisonRose
on 3/21/19 7:25 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Wow such awesome advice! Thanks! I will comment more on this and discuss what I typically eat in a day once I get home from work tomorrow. Gotta be up in a few short hours so off to bed I go.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

MadisonRose
on 3/23/19 10:27 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 22, 2019 at 2:10 AM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

I used the OH Post-Op Planner and it was spot on for my weight loss. My highest weight was 339. I was 311 when I had my RNY and got down to 140 by the 14 month mark.

Most people lose about 50% of their excess weight by the six month mark.

I will say, those of us who have 200 pounds to lose have to be extremely vigilant to lose the weight and keep it off.

Thanks! I will definitely check that out!

Au_Contraire
on 3/21/19 7:38 pm

Hi Madison,

My surgeon didn't assign a goal weight for me, either. I started at 353.6 pounds. He told me that he could get me to 200 pounds via the surgery. When I protested that I wanted to weigh under 150, he said "then you're going to have to do everything right". This meant following all of the rules, including not drinking with or for at least a half-hour after meals; eating dense protein first; avoiding all sugar; avoiding baked goods, pastas, and starchy carbs; slowly incorporating low-glycemic veggies, but only after eating dense protein first; avoiding fast food; eating with utensils rather than !y fingers, walking at least 30 minutes a day, drinking at least 64 ounces of waer/tea/etc. per day; and paying attention to the signals I was getting from my body regarding satiety and stopping eating as soon as I got them. Taking my vitamins religiously and being diligent about having my blood tests. Recording every bite. Involving myself in ongoing support groups at his office and elsewhere, including here. Following the rules for what foods and what quantities were allowed.

Anyway, it took me 20 months of this to lose the weight I wanted to lose. This morning I weighed in at 127.2. I range between 126.0 and 127.8. I may even be a bit too thin (it is truly weird to say that!), but overall, I am delighted to be in maintenance. I got here by following the rules above, and I know if I slack, obesity will find and claim me once again. Obesity is truly a lifelong condition, and I believe that we don't ever really graduate from being at risk. It can, however, be a manageable threat, providing we don't get ****y and dissociate ourselves so completely from the reality that it is still in us, still waiting to pounce if we look away for too long.

My point is your goal is exactly that: yours. I moved my own goalposts a couple of times as I was losing. Many of us do.

Post what you're eating and drinking here - every bite - your stall is something that can be figured out. Also, why are you weighing more than once a day? There is no good reason to do so, and in my opinion, it is just a type of unhelpful compulsion. I did exactly that, too, once long ago. That being said, I am a big advocate of a daily, first-thing-in-the-morning weigh-in. Keep a record of this. But I suggest you stop evening/aftetnoon/etc. weigh-ins. Once a day before eating or drinking at approximately the same time, wearing zip, will give you the most accurate info and will most meaningfully show your trajectory.

Good wishes to you! You can definitely do this.

MadisonRose
on 3/23/19 10:32 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 22, 2019 at 2:38 AM Pacific Time, Au_Contraire wrote:

Hi Madison,

My surgeon didn't assign a goal weight for me, either. I started at 353.6 pounds. He told me that he could get me to 200 pounds via the surgery. When I protested that I wanted to weigh under 150, he said "then you're going to have to do everything right". This meant following all of the rules, including not drinking with or for at least a half-hour after meals; eating dense protein first; avoiding all sugar; avoiding baked goods, pastas, and starchy carbs; slowly incorporating low-glycemic veggies, but only after eating dense protein first; avoiding fast food; eating with utensils rather than !y fingers, walking at least 30 minutes a day, drinking at least 64 ounces of waer/tea/etc. per day; and paying attention to the signals I was getting from my body regarding satiety and stopping eating as soon as I got them. Taking my vitamins religiously and being diligent about having my blood tests. Recording every bite. Involving myself in ongoing support groups at his office and elsewhere, including here. Following the rules for what foods and what quantities were allowed.

Anyway, it took me 20 months of this to lose the weight I wanted to lose. This morning I weighed in at 127.2. I range between 126.0 and 127.8. I may even be a bit too thin (it is truly weird to say that!), but overall, I am delighted to be in maintenance. I got here by following the rules above, and I know if I slack, obesity will find and claim me once again. Obesity is truly a lifelong condition, and I believe that we don't ever really graduate from being at risk. It can, however, be a manageable threat, providing we don't get ****y and dissociate ourselves so completely from the reality that it is still in us, still waiting to pounce if we look away for too long.

My point is your goal is exactly that: yours. I moved my own goalposts a couple of times as I was losing. Many of us do.

Post what you're eating and drinking here - every bite - your stall is something that can be figured out. Also, why are you weighing more than once a day? There is no good reason to do so, and in my opinion, it is just a type of unhelpful compulsion. I did exactly that, too, once long ago. That being said, I am a big advocate of a daily, first-thing-in-the-morning weigh-in. Keep a record of this. But I suggest you stop evening/aftetnoon/etc. weigh-ins. Once a day before eating or drinking at approximately the same time, wearing zip, will give you the most accurate info and will most meaningfully show your trajectory.

Good wishes to you! You can definitely do this.

Thank you! I have no idea why I'm weighing more than once a day.....crazy perhaps? I am going to limit it to just once every morning because weighing more than that just depresses me. At least I got a glimmer of hope this morning when I weighed and was down two pounds. Hopefully it continues to go down and not back up!

catwoman7
on 3/22/19 5:27 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that 70% figure is an average. Like all averages, there are people who fall above and below that. There are plenty of people on here who have lost WAY MORE than 70% of their excess weight. If you're committed, it can be done!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

ScaleSkater
on 3/22/19 7:48 am

Holy cow that tool says I should be 156 at ideal. I believe I'll say - no way to that ;)

I'm going to be very happy after skin surgery at 170 to 175 as my new range. 4.5 weeks away :)

My surgeon told me about the 70% goal, but framed it as a minimum level. He and his staff pushed me to strive for 165 to 170. Then once I hit 185, they looked at my body and fat levels and told me I was done (pre-skin surgery) and then see where I fall after to finalize my number. But he did explain that for some that 70% is their target if they feel a patient isn't going to be diligent to the post-op life rules/behaviors. In the end they now talk about what is maintainable given my behaviors - which thankfully is at a very good place vs. a 70% level.

Good luck

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

MadisonRose
on 3/23/19 10:33 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 22, 2019 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, ScaleSkater wrote:

Holy cow that tool says I should be 156 at ideal. I believe I'll say - no way to that ;)

I'm going to be very happy after skin surgery at 170 to 175 as my new range. 4.5 weeks away :)

My surgeon told me about the 70% goal, but framed it as a minimum level. He and his staff pushed me to strive for 165 to 170. Then once I hit 185, they looked at my body and fat levels and told me I was done (pre-skin surgery) and then see where I fall after to finalize my number. But he did explain that for some that 70% is their target if they feel a patient isn't going to be diligent to the post-op life rules/behaviors. In the end they now talk about what is maintainable given my behaviors - which thankfully is at a very good place vs. a 70% level.

Good luck

Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/22/19 11:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It sounds like daily weigh-ins are driving you bonkers. I would recommend that you weigh once a week, or find a way to look at the long-term trends rather than the day-to-day variations. Trendweight.com is a good way to track your progress over time, as it tends to "smooth out" the bumps that can cause scale variation from day to day.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MadisonRose
on 3/23/19 10:36 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On March 22, 2019 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag wrote:

It sounds like daily weigh-ins are driving you bonkers. I would recommend that you weigh once a week, or find a way to look at the long-term trends rather than the day-to-day variations. Trendweight.com is a good way to track your progress over time, as it tends to "smooth out" the bumps that can cause scale variation from day to day.

Thank you! I am going to check that out. Yes, my weighing is definitely driving me bonkers! I even had a dream last night about my weight. It's consuming me!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views